Sign in to follow this  
Guest tasnvs

Line problem with Ground2K

Hi Folks,i have a little problem with Ground2K. At my scenery i have an area with 5 LOD8-cells. Streets and other lines crossing the LOD8-borders getting very thin short of the border and dissapear totally at the border. I've tried everything, as example i placed the points short bevore the border, at the border or with a little distance to the border. I also splittet the street-line but, the result was always the same.....Does anyone had the same prob or a solution ??ThanksDirk

Hi Dirk.You might want to contact Christian Fumey about this.Christian's code simply places a point at the LOD8 border, and splits a line there. That results in the tapered line. The default MS line code is different than what the SDK uses, and their road lines do not suffer from this. But that code is secret.The SDK does allow us to draw lines far beyond an LOD 8 border ( into fully one half of the next LOD 8 Cell ). But Christian's code does not take advantage of this... and the coding for that could be difficult to create. Such a line is cut off cleanly at the LOD 8 border, with no tapering.In order to code this the line would need to be split twice, creating overlapping segments that lap well beyond the numerical limit of 12240.This problem will also affect the new bridges created as VTP lines, when they cross the LOD 8 Cell borders.=================You could try to alter the source code a bit to overlap the point at which the line is split into a segment... but the coding could be quite complex.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/37994.jpgIf VTP1 lines worked in FS2004, we could simply overlay them, as they display squarely at the LOD13 areas edges ( like LWM polys )... but they don't work in FS2004.You could try to place a narrow polygon as a segment overlapping the border... with a custom grey texture that is about the color of the normal road color. Crude, but workable.Both Christian and I are waiting for the new SDK to ( hopefully ) explain the line structure of the default roads, but he may be willing to try to code overlapping line segments at the LOD8 Cell edges. It wouldn't hurt to ask him.Dick

Hello Dirk,I have quite successfully overcome this problem.Divide your lines so as not to cross over the boundary. Start each line at the first point (0) and click numerous times at that point and at the next few points so as to ensure that the beginning of the line is square (and not narrow.)Make sure that lines on either side of the boundary begin at the same point on each side so that they line up.Best regards.Luis

Guest fumey

The next version, FS2004 pre-release, will correct this pb;Christian

Hi to all,Dick, thank you very much for your very detailed explanation. That makes me understanding a lot more of the "inside things". Luis, i will try your idea in the next days. Thank you for it.Christian, as i said before, thank you really much for creating Ground2K!!! Can you tell something about the new version??RegardsDirk

Guest tasnvs

Christian HiI an using your Ground2K to re-do large areas, and I was wonderingif in a future release it may be possible to:1. Include a way to break a long line into two lines at any point.2. When using slew mode to make lines, have some way to reduce the number of points so they are not to close together.It takes for ever if you have to re-align any part of the line as there ar so many points and they are so close together.I have had a lot of fun using Ground2k and thanks for a great programCheers NOrman