Sign in to follow this  
Holger

How to get clean photosatellite pictures in FS2004 ?

Hi,I'd like to know how to get clean photosatellite pictures in FS2004, that is to say pictures without pixels and with good colours.Please could you tell me all your secrets to succeed in having excellent pictures ?Thank you very much !;-)Damien BRUNET.e-mail : damien.brunet@udb.fr.st

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Damien:that's a big topic and depends very much on your source image. For us to be able to provide you with more information, could you tell us what type of image you're using (e.g., Landsat 5, 30 meters, greyscale band 4) and what image software you have available (Photoshop, Paintshop, etc.).For starters I suggest you search this forum (and others) with the keyword 'satellite' or 'greyscale'Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,I've got some NIMA "DOI 10M" photosatellite in greyscale.I use Photoshop and IrfanView.Regards,;-)Damien BRUNET.e-mail : damien.brunet@udb.fr.st

Damien, what do you mean, "pictures without pixels"? All digital images have pixels. Do you mean you want to find hard copy photos of land? Even then, scanning them returns the image to digital "pixelized" format.Confused....Bob Bernstein

Hi Damien:Bob, I believe what Damien means by "pictures without pixels" is the blockiness of the resample.exe output textures that I've been struggling with myself. My answer to that is the same as what people in this forum and various tutorials have said as well: try to match your image resolution to the 4.8m pixel size FS works with. In Photoshop, open your grayscale image, make sure that Image > Mode is 'Grayscale' or 'RGB' (not 'Indexed Colors'), then select Image > Image Size, make sure that Constrain Proportions and Resample Image 'Bicubic' are selected, then double the width of the image.As for good coloring methods: like I said, search for 'greyscale' in this forum and you'll get some great threads by Bob and others. In addition, there are a bunch of tutorials by Ken Nelson and others on this website, (particularly at the bottom of the page): http://www.scenery.org/tutorials.htmThat should get you started.Cheers, Holger

Hi,Thank you for your advice.Why to double the width of the image ? I tried to import it with its original size in FS2004 and it worked perfectly !I think that if I double the width, all the cities and airports will be staggered.What do you think of it ?;-)Damien BRUNET.e-mail : damien.brunet@udb.fr.st

The original dimensions of my images are :Pixels : 42.5MWidth : 4268Length : 3477Do I have to resize them ?Please could you help me ?Thank you.Damien BRUNET.e-mail : damien.brunet@udb.fr.st

Hi Damien:the reason you want to resize your image prior to using resample.exe is that is gives you the opportunity to reduce the blockiness of your image with a resample filter such as 'bicubic' or similar. Resample.exe will automatically reduce your source resolution (10-m) to the FS-native 4.8m but it seems to use a 'Nearest Neighbour' filter, which keeps the pixels alligned in blocks. I posted a couple of comparison images in this thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=14335&page=For your 10-m resolution it should be sufficient to double the image size (i.e., increase the resolution to 5 meters). You can do this in Photoshop or with Elrond's Image Tool. Yes, this will quadruple the size of your image and half the pixel width/height and this has to be reflected in your .inf file. However, the bounding coordinates (N,S,E,W) will stay the same. I'm not familiar with FS Photo Scenery but assume it'll build the .inf file from the number of columns/rows and corner coordinates you type in. Alternatively, if you write the .inf file yourself, simply divide CellXdimensionDeg/CellYdimensionDeg by 2, put in the new (doubled) number of cells and lines and keep everything else as is. Hope that helps.Cheers, Holger