Sign in to follow this  
arno

Invisible GMAX API

Guest rockit

Hello everyone.I am am hoping someone can help me with a problem I am having creating an API from a gmax file. The problem is - I cant see the API in FS2004 !!!Here are the steps I am using;1. Create a simple 2 box model in GMAX, 1 box has a photo texture, the other a flat color. (this was done for experimental purposes)2. Export this with MakeMdl, Keeping files.3. Open FSregen/Library Compiler and use "create API" button4. Use Airport For Windows to place my API in my existing scenery5. Compile the BGL, place it in my Add On Scenery folder6. Run FS2004 I can see the other API's (created with EOD) in my scenery, but not the new GMAX one. If I create the BGL from Gmax, it works fine, but is a bit too hard to accurately line up.JonGMAX 1.2MakeMDL (8.00.020403.01) from FS2002 SDKFSRegen V.031bAFW 2.6 build 146

Guest rockit

OK, I have just found that I need to compile the object library into a bgl with bglc.exe and also place that in my scenery folder. Now the API is visible. (thanks to a post by bob.bernstein)Perhaps someone could also tell me where to stick my texture file. (oops that doesn't sound like a very nice question to ask :-eek ) I put it in the associated textures folder for my scnery, but the API doesn't show any textures on it, only the base colors.Cheers Jon

Guest Firestriker

Jon,You will need to make a screen shot of your api alone then crop and resize it to 128 x 128 pixels. Name the image exactly the same as your api except with a .bmp extension and put it in your C:Program FilesAirport for WindowsResource directory.Lou

sounds like you put it in the right place. Perhaps you didn't convert it to dxt1? I end up with two copies of each texture, one in 24bit color rgb bmp format for use with gmax, and a converted version to dxt1 for the texture directory.Bob Bernstein

Guest rockit

Thanks for your advice.Bob, I will give that a try.

Guest rockit

Lou, what would a screen shot be used for? Would that be for the preview in AFW perhaps?

Yes, it would.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog