Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Scenery Design

Guest Scooby11

Is there any program that you can use to create scenery, in which all you need to do is put in the co-ordinates of the area you want to design, or load up a preexisting BGL that you want to modify or something, and all you have to do is click an 'add' button and you can add taxiways or buildings onto the scenery.easy no frills way..or maybe someone can explain to me how to do it with a different program..All i really want to do is add buildings and objects to a default fs2k4 airfield...but i dont want to become highly confused..

Guest Richard Hill

You canm use Airport For Windows or FSSC Flight Simulator Scenery Creator. Both oif wich are freeware, and available here.Richard;

Guest Scooby11

hows about...can i add in some sort of background to that blackness in Airport so i know where i'm adding things, or do i just do it in the dark, compile the bgl, install it into fs2k4, restart the sim, check it out, find out its wrong, and do ti all over again?

Guest rockit

No, you dont have to do it blind.Create a bitmap in a photo editing program and in Airport for Windows, under the "File" menu, select "import background image". I ussally create a screen shot from a top down view (facing north) over a known landmark in FS - ussually a runway that I know the heading and length of. Then in AFW, I create a runway with those heading and lengths, and then use scale and position of the background image to line it up.

Guest Scooby11

ya, i'm totally lost and througholy confused, i have airport and FSSC....neither one is working for me..i cant seem to figure this out....why cant someone create a totally simple scenery creator? heh....i'd prefer if i could just send someone the documents i have and aerial photos, and have them create it, heh.i posted a msg over at PAI asking if anyone wanted to help me create an accurate Vancouver airport..no replies yet.

Guest rockit

Dont give up, once you get past the initial learning curve, (sometimes it seems like a cliff !! ) scenery design is a huge amount of fun, and with plenty of help available on these and other boards you can always find an answer.Both AFW and FSSC are both really simple to use, altho I prefer AFW. Have you tried any tutorials.What are you confused about? Give me some specifics and maybe I, or someone else could help.Jon

Guest Gator40019

Amen Jon,Scooby11,The best advise I have received from reading this forum is, and I wish I could remember who said it, 'if you want someone to do it, why don't you?'. The need you have found in flight sim is one that others have seen but not acted on. You have taken the first step in solving that issue and I for one applaud you. The issues you will encounter in learning to use the software for scenery creation are ones many others have encountered. I also wish for an easysolutionallencompassing scenery creation tool. It isn't here yet, but I'm sure someone has been working on it.As was mentioned, don't give up. I am just getting starting with this obsession.*:-* I am using Gmax, for the buildings, and FSSC, for excludes, macros, and stuff, to create a better than default, but hopefully framerate friendly Newark Airport(just some building replacements, like you). I am working on better, more effective texturing, and creating and placing of macros(I can't seem to place them well without lots of hassle). That will be my next post. This forum will give you more info than you could imagine. Just ask the question you have and someone will try to help. Make sure you read help files and read mes so you have some idea of where you need the help.Good Luck,

Guest Scooby11

k well lets start from the beginning...i figured out how to load up the background image....but what should i use as the coordinates, and the scale, and the grid scale, and everything....i duno i just got lost...

Guest rockit

Scooby,I'm not at my usual PC at the moment, but if you like, when I get home, I'll try and put some steps together for you so you can get started. By no means am I an expert, but from trial and error I have had a little success.I'll post back here when done.Jon

The best way to scale a bitmap is to make sure you have a runway or something else you know the size of on it. Then you can place that runway in FSSC/Airport as when and line up the background image with it. After that the placement of objects should go rather easy.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest rockit

Scooby,What is the area you are trying to modify? Let me know what the Airport code is for the field.That way I will use that image as an example.Jon

Hi there:you might want to get in contact with Nigel Grant, the author of the freeware CYVR add-on. He used orthophotos and airport authority maps for his work and might be doing an upgrade for FS9. I was one of his beta testers and know that he was very thorough with his design and has a lot of knowledge about using the software tools. His email address should be in the docs that come with his CYVR scenery.Cheers, Holger