Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Scenery Design

Guest Scooby11

ya i've already talked to hm a few times, however he hasnt yet replied to my last two emails....so i was gonna see what i could mess around with until i heard from him..

Guest JoeW

In FS9 at the scenery area you want to add to, choose a landmark ( corner of apron, corner of runway, anything that stands out.) go to slew mode (Y) at the top left of the screen is the coordinates of that spot. go to save flight and save that position for start up in the same exact place. If you have fsNav, start that and place the mouse pointer on the nearest object. If it's the airport you want to add to use that. In the data that pops up is the Magnetic Varation this is important. If it's a - 10 degrees, deduct the 10 degrees from 360 degrees. Thats the heading you want when you do the top down for the Background. Use the Shift+] to go to topdown. Save the top down as a bmp. Open airport or whatever you are using. Put the coordinates in and place the background. When you were in FSNav there is a entry for the place that has the elevation, if not.. go to aircraft and choose the Cessa 182. It's 3 feet off the ground. in slew mode... with the coordinates at the top .. there is a entery altitude... Deduct the 3 feet from that. Thats the true altitude of the area where you are. I use airport for windows, in the set-up I set the grid for 305. This is in meters and makes the grid 1,000 feet X 1,000 feet. If you want to work in meters .. Pass that by.Now in the grid up 1 space and 1 space to the left, I place a rwy that 500 feet X 50 feet. same for thr right, except go down 1 stace and 1 to the right ,,, now place another rwy., Save and compile.. go back to the sim and the place that saved the flight. Once there, set the heading the same and go to top down... take another screen shot... in top down. save as the same name as the other. Go back to airport and look... Line the Image of the rwys up with the image on the bmp. they must line up exactally. Thats the scale.You can start placing objects in the scenery now.EnjoyJoe W.

Guest rockit

Sorry Scooby, I did this a few days ago, but been AFK untill now....*******************************************************************In FS200x, Slew your aircraft in full screen, top down view so that you can see the whole area. For the CYVR area, I chose the centre of the loop at what appears to be the main terminal access road, and I was at 9 miles up in top down view.Hit the spacebar to align to due north.Take note of the co-ordinates in the top left of the screen.Hold down "alt" and press "print screen" to copy the screen to the clipboard.Paste this screen into a photo editor (even MS paint will do at this stage)Use a ruler tool to measure the length of the longest runwayI chose 26L and came up with 715 pixelsFrom an airport directory, I found out that this runway is 3354m long, which equals 31.32 pixels per 100mSave this image as a bmp - to be used as your backgound image in AFWOpen AFW and Import background image. Set scale to 21.317 pixels per 100m (DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CALCULATED ABOVE) and click OKSelect Sections/general and key in the Lat and Lon that you noted down earlierCreate a new runway, with a length of 3354m and a heading of 280 degreesSelect OKLeft Click and hold button down on the "o" in the centre of the runway. Drag the runway so that it overlays the one in your background image.You can then remove the background image and save this as - "CYVR_Template"Now, you can import any background image that has that runway showing on it and use the scale and arrow keys in "edit background image" to align the 2 runways. You can use the above mentioned method to measure the length of the runway in your new backgroud and convert it to pixels per 100m or you can just guess. This image can be anything from a satelite photo to a street directory, just make sure the image is orientated north to the top. You can now use this background to accurately place macros and other AFW objects.Once I finish the scenery, I remove the runway that was created as a reference and use the default MSFS one.*****************************************************************Tell me if I explained something wrong or it doesnt work and I will try and help more.

Howdy:As a possible alternative for CYVR in particular and B.C. in general:Go to the interactive map server for B.C.: http://www.em.gov.bc.ca/mining/Geolsurv/MapPlace/default.htmFirst you need to download and install the free Autodesk MapViewer plugin for your browser (second link from top). Then click on the second link from the bottom to access the "British Columbia Base Map". Use the zoom function to zoom in on CYVR (you can add or remove layers in the layers sidebar). Unfortunately, there's no orthophoto for Vancouver but the topographic and landuse data (including taxiways etc.) look pretty good. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/40930.jpgYou can use your mouse to determine coordinates of specific points or measure distances and areas - pretty neat. I haven't tried to use screenshots of the Base Map directly in Ground2K; it's possible that there are alignment problems as the online map's projection is in the BC Albers Equal Area Projection, not Geographic WGS84. For small areas it should be OK...Cheers, Holger