Sign in to follow this  
N2056

FS 2004 Ship Replacement

I live in San Diego, and am a Navy veteran. I would like to replace the ships Microsoft placed at the 32nd St. Naval Station piers with proper type ships created using GMAX. I know how to create the ships, but I don't know how to replace the default ones. Another "required" correction for me is the addition of the Coronado Bridge, which was not included in the default scenery. Any ideas?Robert

Guest Ideas

I cannot give much help, but I can encourage you, I was on the Connie out of North Island and went over that bridge many times.Let me know when you get it done, I would love to help you test it out!

Instead of replacing them, you can better exclude them (if you search this forum you will find a lot of info on doing that). After that you have an empty harbour and can place your own ships there.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

If you give the animated object the prefix Tick18_ in the name it should also be animated in FS.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Arno-I tried using the prefix on both radars, and got one radar to rotate. Is this a limitation? Renaming the parts using beacon2,3,4,etc. gives multiple animations, but the motion is jerky.Thanks for the help!Robert

The prefix works on multiple objects. I had a scale applied to the parent part of one of my radars. I redrew the part without scaling, and now I have both radars turning at different rates. The effect looks pretty cool....Thanks again,Robert

That's the USS Long Beach. I like your design! I have been interested in naval ships for many years. I own the 1990-91 edition of Jane's Fighting Ships, and it's neat to see some of the old Cold War ships that were still in service at that time, like Long Beach,or the Soviet Sverdlov cruisers.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Glad you like it! I served onboard '88-'92 working in #2 engineroom. Rode it around the world on my first deployment. It was decommisioned in '95 and awaits final scrapping in Bremerton, WA. I'm working on the weapons systems now, and I'll upload it when it's done.Robert

Guest ChrisD

Your ship looks very good :-)Did You succeed in clearing the harbour of the default stuff?If Your building tool does not include the generation of exclude-files, just email me info of the area You want cleared and I will send a file back to You. The Exclude area You want can be any size and shape. (almost ;-))ChrisD

Here's a pic showing work to date. U.S.S Long Beach about to pass under the San Diego-Coronado Bay Bridge. The main bridge is done as a loft. Went on the harbor cruise this weekend, and got plenty of bridge pics for reference. Need to add the bents (supports), and hope to have working roadway lighting. Still need to learn how to exclude the default ships...:-) http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/42721.jpgRobert