Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Gmax texture help

Guest rockit

Does anyone know of a good Gmax 1.2 Texture tutorial? All the ones I have read / tried are confusing me !! All I want to do is place a section of a bitmap onto the side of a hanger that I have created. When I go into the edit uvw window I only have a 3 sided polygon to move around, and the side of my hanger has 4 edges, so the texture becomes distorted and does not align.Any help in finding a good simple texture tutorial would be appreciated.Cheers from a very frustrated Jon !!!

Guest rockit

Thanks Bob, I will try that when I get home. But if anyone knows of a good texture tutorial for GMAX 1.2, I'm still looking for one, as there are lots of unexplained settings in there.........Jon

Guest rockit

Thanks, there are some good tutorials and links to them at that site. The problem is, all the tuorials that I have found use textures taken from the same *.bmp file. The object I am trying to texture requires textures taken from more than 1 *.bmp file. For example in my experimental object, the roof and 2 sides are taken from 1 and the front and back are taken from another.I suppose I could put the textures into 1 file, but I plan on photo texturing a building ( a main passenger terminal) and to combine all these photos onto 1 bmp, would make it too large.Is there a way to do this?

Yes, its called multitexture. When you create a material, you first choose if its standard or multitexture. Using them can be tricky. I have written the specific steps in this forum in the past. Search on "multitexture" and perhaps bob5568....The basic steps are to select your polygon and all other polygons that will use map1, and place a material modifyer which allows you to set a material id. Then you set a uvmap and then a uvunwrap. Then you place a NEW edit mesh modifyer and a repeat of all the previous steps wtih the next materials set of polygons....Good luck.Bob B

Guest rockit

Thanks Bob,Some Very interesting reading in those old posts. I think I learnt a bit from them !!I followed a tutorial that ;selected polys/added material modifier/set uvmap, selected polys/added material modifier/set uvmap,selected polys/added material modifier/set uvmap.............The problem came when I tried to edit the texture maps using uvunwrap after doing the above. I should have (and now have :) ) added the unwrap at each stage and edited then.i.e. selected polys/added material modifier/set uvmap/UVUNWRAP!!Thanks again for your help.:-beerchug Jon

Jon, glad we fixed an issue...one note, my last model done this way stubbornly refused to display the second map in gmax. I compiled it, and lo and behold, the model looked correct in fs. Not sure if it was user error, or a bug. compile and check in the sim if the performance in gmax defies your belief in what it should be doing.Bhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/40974.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/40977.jpg