Sign in to follow this  
Guest luissa

Basic Question about Ground2k

Guest luissa

Hi,I was trying to make an island on the ocean with Ground2k as a way to get used to the programme (Merci Christian!). I went to the Area Atributes tool and set Fillx1/LWM as Land. I made this on 4 adjacent Areas. Then I used the LandClass Tool and chose a "ground type" landclass on the same region (on a vertex of the Areas).I would expect to see some land at this stage but I do not see! I only see water!If I go on and use the River/Road/Lake tool, I make a line and define it as "Poly with Shore" ... and I see the shore around the island, the autogen trees, but the island ground is WATER (the trees appear on water). I am generating the landclass on a separate folder and I can see my "land tiles" with TMFViewer.Obviously I am doing something wrong! Any help?Luis

Hello Luis,Perhaps it would help if you could post a screenshot of your Ground2K work area and the result in Flight Simulator. Othewise, it is not easy to tell what is happenning just from your description.You may, in the meantime, want to extend your land class assignments out beyond the Areas filled with land. Since land class is assigned to the vertices, they affect 4 different Areas and it seems that you must thoroughly cover all Areas in order to get the assignments to work.Best regards.Luis

Try applying an elevation of one or two meters to raise it above the water.Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Luis.The best way to resolve problems with Ground2K is to attach a zipped file with the LWM... the background bitmap is not needed. That would allow others to recreate the code and see just what Ground2K and the sim are doing.Dick

Hi Luis.Here is how I would approach it.First I would draw my land poly with -9999 elevation, and shoreline. This defines the work area.Then, I would LWM AreaFill with water ( -9999 ). Ground2K will place the waterfill before the Land poly's drawn, so this can be done secondly. Be generous with the waterfill, extending it well beyond what you think it needs to be, and filling the island itself.Then I select the landclass. Again, I'll be generous with the LC, extending it well into the surrounding water... I can always go back and extend the LWM Areafill ( water ) to cover it.This should yield 3 BGLs like the following:Test_3.bgl ( LWM polys and fills ) , Test_9.bgl ( VTP2 lines... shorelines ) and LC_048_032 ( landclass ).Place them in a Scenery folder with no twin texture folder, and you're all set to add to the Scenery Library.My guess is that you need to be a bit more generous with both the water areafilling, and the landclass, and let the poly shape fill in the land.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41258.jpgDick

Guest luissa

>My guess is that you need to be a bit more generous with both>the water areafilling, and the landclass, and let the poly>shape fill in the land.Hi Dick,Earlier today I posted (I thought I had!) here, thanking you and others for the tips. But I see that my post has not reach the forum!Actually your guess was the reason of the problem. In order to have a square Area (Lod 13) showing as land in the midle of the ocean, I need to do an AreaFill as Land LWM, and I need to place 4 "ground type" LandClasses around the Area/Lod13. If I miss just one of the 4 LandClasses, I will not be able to see ground!Thank you for the detailed explanation,Luis