Sign in to follow this  
Guest knnygar

Transparent VTP2 and autogen?

Guest knnygar

I just tried the newest version of Ground2k and custom testures, but no autogen :(I have tried with different other textures marked "y" in G2k and they show autogen.I think it's the 252/253 custom texture that destroys the autogen.I've ran out of ideas so I think I will abandon this autogen for the time being :(

Guest Marky Parky

252/253 does show autogen ( verified for both FS2002/2004 ) when both .BMP and .AGN files are placed in WORLD/TEXTURE directory and there is NO texture directory in the scenery itself.Some other ways are also possible, but this one is verified.

Guest knnygar

With 8-bit transparency ?I placed the 8-bit .bmp with alpha together with .agn in world/texture.And there is no texture directory in the scenery.But i can not get the autogen to show ;( I'm sure i'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to find the problem.

Hi there:the "funny" thing is that I can't get my autogen to stay away...I have large blocks of custom textures (DXT1, with alpha=water), with both textures and the enabling .bgl (compiled by resample.exe) in a local scenery/texture folder. I also have custom .agn files for a few of the textures from an earlier experiment with VTP2 placement. These were placed and left in the ...worldtexture folder.Now everytime I activate the local folder with the photoreal scenery the custom autogen shows up as well. That's not a bad thing at all, I'm just surprised because I thought custom autogen would need to be enabled via a scenery .bgl file as well (I have removed the VTP2 .bgl file). And this "phenomenon" doesn't occur in FS2002, only in FS9.BTW, if the photoreal scenery is deactivated, the custom autogen doesn't show either (which is a good thing, and expected).Cheers, Holger

Thanks for your help, Dick. Its a bit confusing, seems like a couple of different places to put a texture name, without a clear reason to use one over the other.Knowing that your way works, Seeing your way is the best path to success. Just so I know, if using the "other textures" block is wrong in this screen...what is that section for?The buttons on the main screen of ground2k offer an ability to select a texture also, which brings up still another opportunity to enter a texture name. Too many options! LOL I must say, when I found out vtp1 wouldn't work for fs2k4, I was somewhat pleased as I no longer had to try to decide which to use!Do we never enter the name of the texture if we're using the correct coded name for a given lod13 grid?Bob B

Hi Bob.If you have a CUSTOM named texture, you never need to use it's name in either Ground2K or in a handmade ASM file. Why have those other (6) texture blocks? What if you have a texture called "Yards"... you have 6 variations for each season and night. You want to use it as a grassy texture under another poly. The other poly is city streets... just the grey streets, and transparent everywhere else. Those streets might be CUSTOM with autogen houses and trees... but the grassy poly will show up from underneath. The end result is streets, houses, & trees on grass.Your "Yards" texture will have no autogen, as only landclass textures can have autogen!CUSTOM is landclass. You can place CUSTOM tiles with a landclass file comprised of #254 ( transparent ) and #253 non-seasonal landclass value. Or use #252 for CUSTOM seasons.Refering to a texture by name will display the texture, but it will have no autogen.================By the Main Screen, I think you mean the "Area Creation" screen getting called. Christian made the ability to place a VTP1 poly that would cover an LOD13 Area. This was a quick way to use VTP1 to tile the ground. We don't need to worry about that as VTP1 is gone in FS9.The Area Creation Screen allowed us a choice to make 1x1 areafills or VTP1 polys. Either method would cover an entire LOD13 Area. Christian could have included 2x2, and 4x4, and 8x8, and 16x16 AreaFills.. as well as a CellFill. He mercifully left that out. But truthfully, I handmake my own areafills, as I can't stand clicking hundreds of 1x1 squares.================Marky Parky has been experimenting with the terrain.cfg file, and adding autogen to non-landclass textures... but there are distribution problems with this approach. We can have only one terrain.cfg, and authors would be competing for the same numbers.Perhaps the XML format used in the Autogen folder will yield autogen for non-landclass textures, but for now, only landclass ( of which CUSTOM is a subset ) allow autogen.Dick

Guest knnygar

Thank you, Rhumbaflappy.These two posts explained alot :)I mistakingly thought that I had to choose texture :(When I tried only custom texture it all fell into place.Some small adjustments left and then I can go on to the next step in the process :)