Sign in to follow this  
Guest fumey

Workaround for texture flipping with VPT2, landclass tiles and autogen.

Guest Marky Parky

Hi,I've been trying to display my own texture with autogen and I got no results. I want to make a VPT polygon with texture of some generic city for my VFR Scenery of Czech republic.I can not use CUSTOM ( 253 or 252 ) value, that is for photosceneries, because it requies one texture for each covered Area.I can use generic landclass textures with, but they are flipped and autogen don't fit.I can also my own generic texture, but it does not show autogen.So I came out with following workaround, that realy works.There is a way how to do it:1) Make a flipped copy of each urban or suburban file that you want to use as VPT polygon. Name it for example FL037B2su1.bmp for tile 113.2) Make a new entry in terrain.cfg file, for example [Texture.2113], it is nice to remember ;), fill it like this and don't forget to Increase DefaultTextureCount on the beginning of the file.[Texture.2113] // My flipped 113 tileType=1Size=4ExcludeAutogen=0Textures=FL037B2Wi1.bmp,FL037B2HW1.bmp, FL037B2sp1.bmp, FL037B2Su1.bmp, FL037B2Fa1.bmp, FL037B2LM1.bmp3) An any favorite VPT editor make your village with VPT2 poly and default 113 tile in any possible layer ( for example layer 7 ).4) Make another VPT2 poly in layer 8 with this new value of 2113.The autogen shows correctly ( as it alwas did ), but the texture in higher layer show correctly too...Marky Parky

Hi Marky.This is very interesting. One problem we'll need to address is how can we reconcile additions to the terrain.cfg file. If many designers alter the file, we'll soon end up with 50 different versions, and a real Babel of problems from irate scenery users.If we can somehow 'localize' these different cfg files, we'd be alright.Dick

Guest Marky Parky

Yes, this is true, I've been thinking about this too.That is the reason I choosed name of texture with 2 on the beginnning ( 113 -> 2113, 119->2119 etc... ).I wonder if ther would be possibility to include some local terrain.cfg into each scenery, but I think it is not possible due the way FS handles textures and memmory.So the other way is to make up some rules and make the public...It would be also nice if Christian could implement this feature into the G2k.But I think we should wait a while, maybe will discover way to show autogen on own texture somehow.Marky Parky

One thing I've suggested, but I don't know if it's been tried by anyone other than myself....If you create a landclass file defining the textures for an area, and install it in its own folder with a texture subfolder (normally the texture subfolder isn't included when landclass is installed in it's own folder), you can drop your custom textures in there (perhapos along with your .agn updates). In your landclass .raw file, you use the default values for "City", "Urban", whatever.... When MSFS uses the bgl, if it sees the texture subfolder, that's where it will look.My only issue with this is custom autogen--I haven't tried to see if I can drop custom agn files in along with the custom textures...-John

Guest Marky Parky

That is an interesting idea, I'll try to put flipped landclass textures into my folder and use them with VPT polygons, it would be grat if it works.ThanxMarky Parky

Guest Marky Parky

I've tested this idea and I got sad news.Even that the landclass texture itself shows texture correctly changed when called by landclass bgl, VPT2 polygon with the same number of tile still shows original tile stored in WORLD/TEXTURE directory. I will continue with experiments about this features, but it finaly gets me to the idea, that textures for VPT polygons are handled totaly differently to standard landclass textures.

Sorry to hear this.... What's the purpose of using the VPT polys here? I probably missed too much of the background. -John

Guest Marky Parky

I want very precise scenery of few pieces of czech republic for VFR flying.Landclass is not precise enough. So I decied to make all roads, railorads, bridges, streams and common object like gas stations ang churchis by lines, all rivers, lakes and pools by LWM and all forests, parks, villages or cities by VPT2 polygon.Everythink work fine except one thing:All VPT place textures are flipped. It does not matter when printing parks or forests, but it do not look good with villages, so I am looking for a way to flip the texture back localy, without affectiong the landclass on the rest of the world.Marky Parky

Guest fumey

I think that in the next release I will read terrain.cfg.In a first step, I thought that parameter values could be put in the code itself (as Type, Size or texture names); but now , with the variety of parameters, it seems it's not possible, nobody as discovered such instructions.We can hope.Christian