Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

excluding df water in Ground2K4

Hi all,The attached screenshot shows two problems with my attempts to redraw the Castlegar (B.C.) area:1. The new outline of the Columbia River (generated as LWM poly w/ shore and altitude) is supposed to replace the existing depiction but I can't get the default water to disappear. I used the Area Modification window to assign Fill1x1 of Land per LOD13 area and also excluded the shorelines (successfully) as well as assigned new landclass values to the entire region. But the df water remains!?!2. The river is long and so I decided to split the polygons into more manageable pieces. When using poly w/ shoreline, the meeting points of those sections have shorelines that cross the river (not surprisingly). If I use w/o shorelines instead is there any way of avoiding having to redraw the shorelines i.e., having to draw each poly twice? Better yet, is there a way to merge separate polygons into one?Thanks for any help.Cheers, Holger http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41955.jpg

I have deleted rivers in previous version ok. Usually excluding layer 4 should do it.If you find the secret you will continue to see the original river bed/depression. I have not seen anyone come up with a way to restore control by the underlying mesh even after deleting the river. Same thing occurs with deleting roads, the new flattened roadbed seems to remain.Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Dick:thanks for your help. Turns out there's nothing wrong with Ground2K4 (of course!) but I made an error with priority. I made flatten switches for the existing river with the use of the default FS2002 HYP* data (essentially a LWM water mask at the correct elevation) and had those sitting at a higher priority in my scenery library - duh!Anyone having any ideas on my other "problem" - merging polygons or avoiding shorelines crossing the lake? I know that I can unckeck the 'join ends of line' box but that only helps on one side of the river's end.Also, I can't get autogen bridges to show up - do they have to be connected to a road or can a bridge be placed anywhere? I made a 2-point line with a bridge code at layer 32 but it won't display. I assume that the altitude setting doesn't have an effect so I left it at zero.Cheers, Holger

Me again:one of those "introvert" threads...I managed to have the autogen bridges show. Again, it hadn't anything to do with Ground2K but all with me having set TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS to 0 in the fs9.cfg file. No wonder I hadn't seen any bridges in a while ;-)Cheers, Holger

>Anyone having any ideas on my other "problem" - merging>polygons or avoiding shorelines crossing the lake? I know that>I can unckeck the 'join ends of line' box but that only helps>on one side of the river's end.I think I understand what you are talking about here, but I think I only have half-baked answer for you. Basically, when you de-select the "join ends of line" box, you will still have shorelines at the other end of the river that you made. Maybe there's a better way to do it, but I think you may have to make three seperate objects - one "LWM poly WITHOUT shore", and two seperate shorelines (one on each side of the river). Yeah, it's a chore.But maybe you could just edit the .asm file by hand, since the river will share points with the shoreline, of course. Still a bit of a chore, but you will at least get it accurate in FS. Just drag-and-drop the .asm file on to BGLC.exe to compile the .bgl file. This should work.- Martin

Hi all:well, I *really* didn't want to digitize all my shorelines twice and finally came up with a work-around for these situations that require two open ends in a lake/river/lagoon:I keep alternating the layer number for my lake sections (#20 and 21), with one section (the one with shoreline) overlapping a bit onto the next section. I then use DefArea to slew/write an exclude for that shoreline that crosses the lake in the overlapping area. Since the other lake section has a different layer it still shows its shoreline. Works like a charm!Cheers, Holger