Sign in to follow this  
Guest Av8or1011

Problem with CAT?

Guest Av8or1011

Hi allI've been lurking around here for a bit, but this is my first post. I've been out of scenery design for about 2 years and thought I would jump back in so I could upgrade one of my airports to FS9. Back then I used VOD for 3D objects but now I've decided to give Gmax a try. For a newbie, it's so far so good as far as creating the object in Gmax (I'm creating a hangar with animated opening doors). Anyway, to get to the point, when I run the .asm file through CAT it appears to compile but the end result is an .asm file containing no data and no sign of a newly created .BGL file. :-hmmm I'm trying to set it up so tuning the Nav 2 to 112.00 (1200h for the variable) will open the doors and de-tuning it closes them. The input file I used was the filename_0.asm file.Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thanks,Jon

Hi Jon,That is strange. So you loaded your filename_0.asm file into CAT? Are you sure that you saved the new modified file with a different name?On my website you will find a tutorial about animating gates, it also explains how you can use CAT. Maybe that can help you?http://www.scenerydesign.org/modules.php?n...=2#articlestartIf after all this you still can not get it to work, you can send me the ASM file and I will check if it is some sort of bug (btw, are you use v0.20beta?).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Av8or1011

Hi ArnoYes, I used COAHangar_Open_0.asm as the source file. That's the actual filename of my hangar object. The output file was saved as COAHangarOpen (minus the _ so it would be a different name)I will go take a look at your gate tutorial and see if it helps, if not I'll be back with the .asm file. :)JonPS- I am using 0.20 beta version

Guest Av8or1011

Hi ArnoWell, I went and opened up the .asm file (the original one exported by Gmax/MakeMDL) in Notepad and noticed it too was blank for some reason. So, I tried exporting again and then re-compiling in CAT and this time it worked. Not sure what the problem was but all is well now. Now I just need to refine the animation so it works realistically. :-) I have another question for ya. I am not quite sure if it can be done or not, and perhaps I'm just out of my mind for thinking of it in the first place. :-) The next hangar to be done is a large 2-sided hangar with 3 aircraft bays on each side. There are 3 doors per side - one for each aircraft bay. The doors can move either left or right to open. So, I'm wondering if at all possible, how I would I go about setting up a situation where I can have 6 different Nav2 frequencies to operate all 6 of the hangar doors independently? It's quite a scenario, I know, but I thought I would see if it could be done. If not, I'll just limit the amount of aircraft bays the user would have access to.Thanks,Jon

Hi Jon,Good to hear it works fine now :).About your second question, yes that would be possible. To do this you would need to make 6 versions of model and export them all to different files (one version for each type of animation).You can then load them as secondairy conditions in CAT and set the frequency you want them to respond on. For the animation trigger you would need to set a range of frequencies that spans all six. Then it should work I think :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Av8or1011

Thanks Arno!I'll give it a try and see what happens.Thank you for the wonderful CAT tool as well. I have never tried editing .asm files manually, but from reading about other designers' experiences I'm glad CAT is here. :-beerchug Jon