Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

How to make elevated coasts? Please can you Help me

Guest Robi

Excuse me if i'm here again but I am becoming crazy ....In a old post, Luis F

Ciao Roberto (alias rompi),Would you please post screenshots of your work? It is dificult to know what is wrong from your description.Best regards.Luis

Guest Robi

Ciao Luis I'm happy to read youHere's 3 screenshots of my work made with g2k. As you can see , water cover part of coast.It contain1) Lwmpoly Water - Altitude -99991) Lwmpoly with shore (Island) Altitude -99991)VTP2Poly inside Altitude -9999 (LC 046)Re.Mesh Vtp2poly Meter between 20 - 72Re-mesh Lwmpoly with shore meter 0.I hope you can help me..Thanks Roberto

Thank you, Roberto, for the screenshots. What we really need to see, however, are:1) the images of your Ground2K work space where you have drawn your curves; and2) the images of the properties windows for your curves where you indicate what they are.Best regards.Luis

Guest seev_39

Hi Roberto,I solved that problem by creating another land polygon for the same shore (starting from the beach into the land as far as you wish, 1 km will be enough). Since you have now two polygons for the same area you have to define them with a different EB_# (EB_01, EB_02, etc.) also give them a different layer - I use layer 12 for EB_02 and so on, it helps to remember what you did.It works great though not mentioned in any tutorial. FS will run excelent with overlaying polygons.raising elevation is easier with the mesh function because you can get better slopes. not like the Rio table mountainHope that help you outSeev

Guest Robi

Thank Seev i'll try it as soon as possible for me.However i've attachhed the files for Luis . I hope that they are the right files now ;-) also i've atthached the LWM of my Prj.Thanks for your help and for time that you spend for me.Ciao Roberto

Hello Roberto,Thanks for the screenshots - this makes things a little clearer although I still have some questions.1) You seem to have drawn your coast (LWM - Land) first.2) Then, you drew a polygon inside it and gave it a land class value (VTP2).3) Then, you used the re-mesh function to try to raise the elevations.4) This gave you the result of water climbing up the slope.So, I conclude that you might not have attempted to create elevation using the method of creating a polygon within your coast, declaring it as LWM - Land and assigning an elevation to it.Here is why the re-mesh function gives you that strange result.It is important to understand a few basic principles about elevation.Elevation is determined by assigning values to the vertices of a grid, the altitude mesh. The closer the vertices, the higher the resolution of the altitude mesh. This also means that the closer the vertices, the steeper the slope between them. See the following image showing 2 grids. On the left, a plan view (top down) and on the right, the orthographic (profile) view.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/44211.jpgAs you see, when you assign elevation values to the vertices, you create a slope between them. ANYTHING THAT LIES BETWEEN THE VERTICES WILL LIE ON A SLOPE. This is important to keep in mind.Please remember that Ground2K does NOT create altitude mesh. Instead, it uses a property of Land Masks that allows them to have an altitude assigned. Ground2K creates a grid similar to the different LOD grids and lets you create very small Land Mask polygons to which you assign an altitude. Here is an illustrative example - when creating the elevation of Monaco-Ville (le Rocher), I could assign values as closely as possible to the coast, thinking that this would raise the land, BUT leave the water at sea level.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/44212.jpgNOT SO. The value of 20 meters will create a slope down to the value of 0 meters. Since water occupies that space, you will get water sloping up to the 20 meter elevation.The only way to avoid that is by making sure that the coastline is at 0 meters. This way, the slope from 20 meters down to 0 meters will only have land, and the water will always remain at sea level.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/44216.jpgYou can also use another method to create elevation - just draw a polygon and declare it as LWM - Land, then assign it an altitude.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/44214.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/44215.jpgThe methods are simple, but may require a little adjustment of the location of the polygon (or of the re-mesh points) if you continue to get water climbing up a slope.Best regards.Luis