Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Ground2K4 Lost LWM File

Since I never refuse to save a Ground2K4 file I did not heed the warning to backup the LWM files. Well, accidents (wrong click) do happen. Now the Christian Fumey email address does not work so maybe he looks here occaisionally and can fix my file.Since the LWM file is 233kb I am prohibited from attaching it. Perhaps Christian can post a valid email adress if he stops-by.Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Dick:don't know if the same thing happened to you that happened to me - the file got corrupted while attempting to save. Have a look at your LWM file in Notepad and check whether the last three lines look something like this:0180 00200 2 0 0EndIn my case, the 'End' line (and landclass and exclude settings above that) got clipped and caused Ground2K4 to abort any attempt at reloading.If "End" is missing, insert it and you might be able to reload, though some of your data might be missing.Good luck!BTW, the error messages that accompanied my crash (File already open, and Outside of area) don't seem to relate to what I was doing (i.e., saving) but rather there seems to have been a problem with available RAM. To avoid further problems, I made a 'backup' folder inside my project folder and now copy the LWM file into it *after each* successful save (and I save lots).Cheers, Holger

Hi Dick.You could zip the LWM file and save it as an attachment... should work.I save about every 10 minutes... and I compile the BGL before I save. That way I never have to save the LWM if it has a compilation error, and i always have a working copy of the LWM that does work. Since I have a habit of saving, when I exit the program I have already saved the final work of the session, so I select NO when asked to save on exiting."Save as" with different names ( with the date and time embedded ) might be an even better method.This is an old programming trick to save often, and ID the saves.Dick

Indeed the ritual saving is now part of the operation. One more step but still not a bad as the "new" FS2004 requirement to restart after each change to a scenery BGL.And, my LWM is now attached as a little ZIP.Dick KLBE

regards,

Hi Dick.I changed the file locations to match my G2K4 setup, and your LWM loaded correctly and could make the BGLs. So it appears the LWM is valid... but the file locations may be wrong.Dick

Guest JohnC

With regards to reloading FS4k, I wonder if it is possible for someone to create a Visual Basic (or other language) utility to store the keystrokes in a macro so that one mouseclick would reload FS4k, and click/navigate to the saved flight one uses to look at the effect of one's last change. Just a thought........Dick, your expanse of knowledge on the subject of scenery design never fails to impress......

Guest cwright

Ignore this, the forum played a trick on me! Chris

Guest cwright

John, there are at least) a couple of ways you can do this. Just make a shortcut copy of the .flt file and drag it onto the Windows screen in the normal way. Then double-clicking on the icon will run FS and load the flight (I think Dick was the first to suggest this). If you want to run one of several different flights, you can do this: use the Windows START - Run.... facility. If I type in c:fs2004fs9.exe c:temptest.flt, it will run FS and load the flight named test. The drawback to this is that, with the new FS2004 regime, the path to the flights folder is amazingly long and complex - in my example I copied the flight to the temp folder to save typing! Probably easier to drag the flights onto the Windows screen.... Of course it's easy to program the equivalent of the Run... method into Visual Basic - I've already done it in AutoAsm! Best regards, Chris

Thanks for the encouragement. I had written off that part of my projects. Anyhow, I could see no problems with the file descriptions. Tried changing some things and moving files to no avail. Then deleted the first line of the LWM and tried loading and received a 530 error. Ok, that sounded good. So I replaced the first LWM line and just to make sure of my basis I tried to load it and - it loaded. All I did was CTRL-X (deleted 1st line), tried to load the LWM, and then a CTRL-V and the load worked??The amount deleted did not include the 0000 line number in case Christian sees this.I am concerned that I have not seen any input from Christian Fumey since his email has been kicking back to me. Dick KLBE

regards,

Hello Dick (Boley),Christian Fumey has posted his new address in this forum, and, if you look at the readme document in Ground2K4, you will also find it.c.fumey@laposte.netIs this the address that is no longer working for you?Best regards.Luis

Hi Dick.How strange. Perhaps a non-ascii value crept into that first line somehow. I also had altered the first line when I changed the file locations for my computer, so it makes sense now that something was amiss in that first line.I'm glad it's working.Dick

Guest JohnC

Thanks, Chris....my eyes still glaze over but now I have time to watch small 30 second patches of my wife's favorite programs on Home and Garden TV while FS9 reloads for the tenth time.

Thanks Luis - I had the old address.Dick KLBE

regards,