Sign in to follow this  
Guest Checkmate

Watermask Help

Guest Checkmate

Mine's not working.I have 2 24bit bmp files in the same directory. One, named MyScenery_su.bmp, has satelite imagery. The second, named MyScenery_watermask.bmp, is a black and white version of the first with black where I want water and white where I want the first to show through. I get the scenery tiles but no water.The 2 docs with the custom terrain SDK contain the word water 3 times; all land/waterclass names. Nothing about the watermask file.

Guest Checkmate

I ran it through the resample (2k version) with the following bat file:d:cd srqscenerydel *.tmfdel *.bglcd srqcopy d:srqsourcesrq_su.bmpcopy d:srqsourcesrq_watermask.bmpd:srqtoolsresample.exe d:srqsourcesrq.infd:srqtoolstmf2bgl d:srqscenerysrq.tmf d:srqscenerysrq.bgldel srq_su.bmpdel srq_watermask.bmpcd srqtexturedel *.bmpcopy d:srq*su.bmpd:srqtoolsimagetool -terrainphoto *.bmpdel *.bmpren *.mip *.bmpcd srqdel /Q *.*cd scenerydel *.tmfcd srqsourceand this inf file:[Destination] DestDir = "d:srqscenery" DestBaseFileName = "srq" BuildSeasons = 0 UseSourceDimensions = 1 [source] Type = Custom SourceDir = "d:srq" SourceFile = "srq_su.bmp" Lat = 27.5435 Lon = -82.75211 NumOfCellsPerLine = 4563 NumOfLines = 5394 CellXdimensionDeg = 5.04E-005 CellYdimensionDeg = 4.41E-005ThanksJohn

ok, so now I see....download a utility in the avsim library called fstexconvert103.zip its from Elrond Elvish.It expects your main image slices to be in a different folder from your alpha slices.Then it will compile them together into dxt1+alpha and put the result in whatever folder you choose.Bob B

Guest Checkmate

If I'm understanding your post then Resample.exe doesn't combine the two images. I need to run resample on both images and place the output in to two seperate folders then run fstextconvert to combine the two and create mip maps.Can MS's Imagetool do this?Do I need to change the landclass in order to enable water?Also which of the formats work in 2k2 and 2k4 and what are the advantages and disadvantages of the various formats. One (at least) of the formats seems to have different levels of transparancy. That would be cool for some of the shallow water areas!

<>Correct<Yes. I even understand you can run it in batch mode, but I never learned how. I just like elrond's program better...but use imagetool if you prefer.<no, your custom texture created by resample essentially already is a new landclass. <>Assuming you mean image file formats....the primary formats used in fs2k2 and 4 are the same, Dxt1 and dxt3, either format can be "with alpha" or not. Objects make a different use of these alpha channels than ground does. The ground textures assume the alpha is water. Your idea hasn't worked because the water is either on or off. A recent thread in which Holger Sandman showed his idea of not using the alpha for the mudflats and compromising the water effect in that area shows what folks are trying.Objects interpret the alpha as transparency. dxt1 with alpha allows only one level of transparance, either on or off. dxt3 with alpha allows for varying transparency based on the grey scale level of the alpha channel. There is a different way to replace the landclass ground images. If you design with vtp polygons and lines, you can also place custom texture, and these can have transparecy but they must be 8 bit with alpha and mipped. That's a different method of design than you are using, but I thought a format discussion should include this, as its the only place in fs2k4 or fs2k2 that I've found a non-dxt format to be needed. HOWEVER in this case, an lmw water polygon still doesn't show transparency.Have fun!Bob Bernstein

Guest Checkmate

Thanks Bob,That was exactly the information I was looking for. I'll probably use Elrond's program as well because there doesn't appear to be any documentation for producing alpha channel output in batch mode with imagetool. Typing imagetool -? was some help but not much. The niagra example includes a watermask but i couldn't find any explanation on how to process it. I wonder if the use of 0 in the 0*.bmp has something to do with it.All of the image file info you gave will be useful because I intend to lay some higher res texture tiles on the ground in and around the airport (Sarasota/Bradenton Intl (SRQ)). RegardsJohn