Sign in to follow this  
Guest Keeso

Previous version (FS98/CFS) of Harvey Field?

I'm green with envy for all the folks able to use Bob Bernstein's Harvey Field (Snohomish, WA) scenery add-on for FS2000. I live fairly close to the real Harvey Field and want to (eventually) use it as my home field, after pilot training. For now (and well before I can get a vintage Aeronca Champ or Piper Cub), all I have is my WA sim fun, with a PIII 450 with TNT2 card. This "framerate picky" virtual pilot uses CFS for the best possible framerates, importing the FS98/CFS compatible commercial add-on that I really love: MegaScenery Pacific Northwest.Was there ever a previous version of Bob B's Harvey Field -- one that was CFS compatible? When I made the default FS98 Washington scenery inactive (so as not to conflict with the add-on), I lost Harvey Field as my virtual home field .... BUMMER!I tried installing the FS2000 Harvey Field add-on before I read some stuff that lead me to believe this was a no-go ... I do have CFS2, but that's not compatible with the FS98 MegaScenery.Any advice or help would be MOST appreciated!Keeso

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Keeso, I've never tried to design for CFS2, thou I suspect its not hard to learn. Let me look into it a bit, and I'll see what I can do for you. Thanks for your kind comments re Harvey.UPDATE: well the search engine in this forum sure works well now. In seconds I'm learning that ground2k is now working well for cfs2. This is great news, as I'm finally getting comfortable with ground2k. The cool thing is that the custom textures I made for the fs2k2 version can be used over a ground2k vtp2 polygon, and doing this should make it possible to create a cfs2 version of harvey without much trouble. I'm hoping that gmax macros work equally well in cfs2...if that's the case this'll be a fun way to continue learning vtp design techniques.Bob B

Hi Bob.CFS2 uses only VTP1 polys and lines. So you'd need to design for it with Ground2K version 4... not the newer G2k4 ( version 5+ ).There is now no compatibility between CFS2 and FS2004 with either LWM or VTP. :(The good news is that G2K version 4 is great for altering CFS2, and adding lakes, streams, rivers, roads, cities.... ( CUSTOM may be difficult as CFS2 wants to blend CUSTOM values like other landclass tiles... and CFS2 has no seasons. )Dick

Bob:Thanks for your reply. You know, you really did a great job (from what I can see from the preview graphics and what others have said) and that's why I'm so jealous of those that can use Harvey Field on the newer MSFS versions (which I cannot, due to my older machine). Because I use the MegaScenery PNW with CFS1, I'm sorta locked in (or out, as the case may be) ... I had thought the FS2000 and CFS1 sim engines were so similar that it would be no problem, but I couldn't convince CFS1 to search, find, and run the Harvey Field add-on ... I'm not sure what the subtle or perhaps critical differences are. I'm fairly well-versed at aircraft installation, and even with much of the protocols of scenery (where the various files are supposed to live), but I had to uninstall the FS2000 version of Harvey Field.But I have to say this -- Harvey Field is certainly worthy of the work you've done to date. What a great little place! My wife and I went there last Saturday, spent at least an hour watching various vintage (and newer) light planes come and go. A perfect fall day (unlike today: Brrr!) and there was lots of traffic and folks skydiving for much of the afternoon. The endless comings-and-goings of Aeronca Champs, J-3 and Super Cubs, and various Cessnas made me drool!! I briefly talked to Christi Otness at Snohomish Flying Service about lesson costs and she couldn't have been nicer. Great folks, great history, great feeling about the whole place. Everyone should be so lucky to have such a cool local field nearby ...Keeso

Hi Keeso, Harvey's been one of my favorites for many years...you been to the corn roast...good times each summer!Now let me get it straight...are you hoping for a version for cfs1 or cfs2...I think you said cfs2 in an earlier post.B

Sorry ... I think I confused the issue by remarking I had both CFS1 and CFS2, but that CFS1 was what I mostly fly now ... since the MegaScenery Pacific Northwest can only be imported to CFS1. Even though the PNW scenery was designed for FS98, it looks great in CFS1 and I was getting between 65 - 72 frames per second while flying the Abacus Premier Collection J-3 Piper Cub I just bought. Gosh, I'd just love to fly that dude outa Harvey!Regards,KeesoP.S. I missed the Corn Roast this year, but I want to go next year ...