Sign in to follow this  
Guest geognut

help with Photo Scenery Maker

Guest geognut

Hi,I recently downloaded and used Photo Scenery Maker (PSM) 1.2.1 and I like it because it's very simple to use. But I can't get my photorealistic scenery to display in FS2004. I read the lengthy thread from Sept. 4 about a similar issue and while it was very helpful, I still have no success.I took some screenshots of Northern Utah satellite imagery at approximately 4 km resolution, and assembled them into one large bitmap file (2982 columns, 519 rows) that I imported into PSM. I didn't define the bounding coordinates of the bitmap at first, but rather performed the 2-point calibration, using the upper left and lower right coordinates as follows:UL: 41.3645, -112.0533LR: 41.346, -111.9191Based on what I read in previous threads about PSM, I knew I didn't have to reverse the geographic coordinates with version 1.2.1, compared with older (buggy) versions. Note that I also entered them in decimal format, not 00:00:00.When I select "run whole process", it only took a few seconds and generated 25 bitmap texture files (256x256, 43 KB) and a BGL file. So it looked like it was going to work successfully! But after importing the new directory (with /scenery and /texture folders) into FS2004 and selecting it with the Scenery Library, the scenery doesn't appear at all over northern Utah.What might contribute to scenery not displaying like this?thanks in advance,Jason

... and have you had a look at those bitmaps to see whether they contain the photoreal textures?Holger

Guest geognut

Yep, I exited from FS9 and then restarted. Still no scenery.The resulting 256x256 pixel bitmaps aren't really viewable in any image software...well, they are, but they're all white! But this seems to be the case for the default photoreal scenery included with FS9, for example, around the Denver airport. (Flight Simulator 9/Scenery/Cities/Denver/texture/) Try opening and viewing one of those .bmp's and you don't see anything except blank. That's the way my bitmaps are that I created with Photo Scenery Maker. (I hope I'm making sense here...)-J.

Hi J.the man needs DXTbmp, by Martin Wright, available here: http://fly.to/mwgfx/ I believe you also need the mwgfx.dll package available at the same site to run this tool. Even if your textures are correct and the problem is of a different type, it's still a useful tool to have for any sort of textures.Cheers, Holger

I'd go ahead and check the textures using the utility that Holger suggested...assuming they are your scenery, then the problem must be with your bgl. I don't really know the specifics of the tool you used, I do mine more manually...but if you get an .inf file as output, you could post that, it would let us evaluate the whole thing for errors.B

Guest geognut

Hi,thanks for the suggestions. Without delving into these utilities, however, I decided to try another approach and create an entirely new bitmap file, 4947 columns x 1860 rows. The first bitmap I assembed wasn't very "square" and it choked in Photo Scenery Maker.anyway, with the new bitmap I created, I ran the whole process in Photo Scenery Maker, and imported it in FS9, and it looks great!Better than I expected. I'm attaching a screenshot here, where you can see my photoreal scenery overlain on the default scenery over Ogden, Utah.Now I feel confindent I can create scenery in the near future for the entire Salt Lake City - Odgen - Provo metro area.

Wow, that looks spectacular! Congratulations on getting the textures in! Are the source airphotos individual frames or seamless orthophotos?Cheers, HolgerEdit: Ooops, let me rephrase that question - what satellite imagery are you using, IRS?

Guest NAS733

Wow!!Congratulations! It looks real! I will try to make Photoscenery for Bergen (Norway).I am a newbie! My first post.Best regads Geir

Guest geognut

Removed per request from message author-Jason

Guest geognut

Hi Geir,Welcome aboard! (This is my first posting too.)-Jason

Guest NewYork

Hi!!I'm just starting to use Photo Scenery Maker and I had the same problems u had. Please, could u give me some advices? U could write me in PVT (g.graziano@fastwebnet.it), if u prefer it, describing me all software u're using with Photo Scenery Maker, for example which type of coordinates measurement the software use and how to convert it in another format, which size o bitmap I need to use with it ecc.I know that I'm gonna go to ask u so much, but plz help me.. ;-))Thanks a lot!! Bye!!;)

Guest NewYork

Hi!!I'm just starting to use Photo Scenery Maker and I had the same problems u had. Please, could u give me some advices? U could write me in PVT (g.graziano@fastwebnet.it), if u prefer it, describing me all software u're using with Photo Scenery Maker, for example which type of coordinates measurement the software use and how to convert it in another format, which size o bitmap I need to use with it ecc.I know that I'm gonna go to ask u so much, but plz help me.. ;-))Thanks a lot!! Bye!!;-)

Guest sssummer

Geognut,Wow, that scenery is fantastic. Are you going to make the file available for download when you are finished? Looks as good as Megascenery, who probably would'nt do a less populated area like the Salt Lake Valley despite how great it is with mountains, desert, and populated area all rolled into one.Let everyone know.ThanksBrian