Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

simple hydro dams in Ground2K4

Hi all:since the release of my Canadian Rockies mesh/scenery upgrades I've had a few inquiries about my efforts at 'modelling' the many hrydroelectric dams in the Castlegar area. No rocket science at all (and definitely not as good as a nice GMax model) but since there seems to be some interest/curiosity... Perhaps others have even better ideas.Basically, my dams have four components:1. The dammed lake and river below are regular LWM water polys with shore2. A small rectangular LWM polygon (land) with an elevation about 3 meters above the lake elevation; this is my flat dam crown3. A larger VTP2 polygon (without shore, layer 19) that covers the entire area between the lake and river, with landclass texture #136 (cement). Actually, I'd prefer a darker grey but this was the best one readily available.4. A VTP2 'autogen' bridge across the dam crown to simulate the actual crown structure; layer 25, bridge type 1 or 2 lanes, with divided meridianHere's a G2K4 screenshot and two examples of completed dams.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/46769.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/46770.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/46771.jpgIn contrast to 'external' 3D-models, these flatten-switches-as-dams provide less control over the shape and accuracy of the structure (notice the water creeping up the dam in the second image and the 'notch' in the crown in the third image) but with a little trial and error the approximation looks quite believable.Cheers, Holger

A very ingenious solution, Holger. Looks good, and probably has less impact on frame rates than a 3-D model.I had thought of using this technique to recreate the city walls in a project of 18th century Paris, but have not yet implemented it. It is good to see that the results are so good.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis:I don't know how the medieval (?) walls look like in Paris but the problem with the flatten-based approach is that it's very difficult to generate steep gradients, not to mention vertical walls. Perhaps it's less of a problem in a city where you can create a perfectly flat base and then 'build' the wall with small flattens but in my mountainous landscapes I had a hard time getting the dams to be sufficiently steep without influencing the water surface or the adjacent banks.Good luck - are you planning on making your Paris project available at some point?Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger,This whole re-mesh situation is a real problem, because of the parasitic effects caused on surrounding terrain. Really, the only advantage of re-meshing with LWM polygons is the ability to effect small-scale, very local changes.Paris, like most cities, is not flat (sorry, I have never been to Omaha), so there is no flat base. But, then again, scenery is meant to be flown over, not walked around, and, at 2000 feet AGL, I doubt that anyone could see the difference.This project is a recreation of man's first flight, and contains a modelisation of that Montgolfier balloon and the Paris of 1783. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/47184.jpgAs you can see, the city is not done yet. A distinctive feature of cities back then was the surrounding fortifications. But, for reasons of simplicity, I may just skip this element.If the project is ever finished, and worthwhile, I shall certainly let you know, although I wonder how many people would be interested in it.Best regards.Luis

Guest C_Fumey

Hello LuisFrench people are interested! be sure.On Francesim.com you can find 75m meshes for France.Christian

Salut Christian,I was thinking of making this Montgolfier project available to a few of the French sites, but may also decide to post it here just for didactic purposes. After all, people were flying for a long time before you know who.At the moment, I am trying to finish up a project of the island of Virgin Gorda, made with your program, of course, and shall send it to you when done.Then, I shall finish up the Montgolfier project. I have already made a few dozen buildings and monuments:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48134.jpgbut, there is still much left to do, including all terrain modifications.After that, I plan to start a project of Henri Giffard's dirigible balloon, first controlled sustained powered flight, including scenery of the Paris region of 1852:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48135.jpgAnyway, I shall let you know when they are ready.Amicalement.Luis

Hi Luis:wow, that is a really cool "niche" project - please do tell us when and where you upload the files!Those old buildings are spectatcular - is the windmill going to turn into the wind and will we hear the church bells ring? ;-)Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger,It is very kind of you to show interest in my little project. Thank you very much.The vanes of the windmill are animated, but they will not turn into the wind - too much laziness on my part, and perhaps not good for frame rates. For the same reason, there is a non-animated version of the windmill that will also be in the scenery.I have planned on replacing the engine sounds with cows lowing, cocks crowing, birds chirping, the sound of people and the wind, but had not thought of bells tolling. Thank you for the suggestion, it will be incorporated in the project.Best regards.Luis