Sign in to follow this  
Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Excluding new Autogen format

Guest Claviateur

HiMy airport that I designed for FS2002 works pretty well in FS2004 except for a few objects that were part of the default airport and that my exclusion area done in Architect2002 does not seem to exclude themFor exemple, a telephone pole, a radar, ILS boxes and a VOR resist the exclusion.Are those part of the new Autogent format? the xml?Is there a know way to exclude them?ThanksMichel

Guest Barney1

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but here goes.As so happens, while doing some experimental work around my pet airport, I noticed that the version of a particular *.bgl file I was compiling from Airport for Windows was behaving differently from an earlier version. Specifically, a polygon being assigned as ground cover was _not_ suppressing generic autogen trees and buildings.The earlier version was originally designed for FS2002, and we all know how such a polygon would take out autogen! And it worked in FS2004 in the same manner. Thus when I found that my updated version wasn't working as expected, I became really curious! Anyway, cutting to the chase, I discovered that the difference between the two was that the earlier *.bgl had a large 'runway' with "Invisible" texture assigned. This was used rather than a 'flatten' switch, because bits of the default texture would display through my polygon at certain angles and heights. Once I placed a similar 'runway' in the _new_ *.bgl, the autogen disappeared!!

Guest GerrishGray

Hi MichelOf the objects you mention, only the telephone pole comes from the new Autogen, and is probably associated with 'vector Autogen' (i.e. Autogen objects generated by VTP2 roads etc.) rather than 'ordinary' Autogen.The topics of (a) excluding VTP2 vector Autogen under new/extended airfields, and (:( getting exclusion areas to work correctly in FS2004, have both been discussed here fairly extensively in some recent threads. Try http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=15149#15365 for starters.Hope this helps you find a solutionCheersGerrish

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Barney,Do you happen to know if that "invisible" texture is one of the texture options available in Lee Swordly's fantastic AFCAD2? He lists several that are "unknown". If you don't know, I think I'll try all the "unknown" textures and see if one of them is the magic "invisible" texture. Trying to get some autoget trees out of my taxiways. So a runway with an invisible texture underneath my taxiways might suppress the autogen vegetation, I hope,... I hope. {;-)Thank you,Larry JonesFlorence, MT

Guest Barney1

Larry,I do not know about AFCAD choices...I used Airport for Windows.It would be appreciated if you could post your results here for those who use AFCAD, I'm sure.

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

I tried two of the unknown runway textures on a fat test runway overlaying the main runway and the taxiways I created. (The taxiways which look abandoned since they have autogen trees protruding from them here and there.)No joy. The darn autogen trees continue to appear "growing" through the new runway (Surface choice = unknown, the one above Asphalt). The autogen trees appear to be in the same place but now are growing up through my test runway instead of growing up through my taxiway. And of course the new test runway wipes out my taxi ways where it overlaps.So I conclude this isn't a method of doing a back door exclude. Guess I'll have to wait for the SDK and Lee Swordly.Larry