Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

Bob B...Thanks! got the phot data to line up just right...

Guest PaulL01

Hi Bob,Just wanted to post a thank you for all your tips and some results to share...I used the standard method of locating the extents in Elronds Imagetool but found that I still had to do some manual rotation of the data to get it exactly right.Thanks again. :)Screenies can be viewed here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...98383&mode=full

Just fabulous, Paul! How much terrain do you cover?Looks like you really got your money's worth.Best regards.Luis

Guest PaulL01

>Just fabulous, Paul! How much terrain do you cover?>>Looks like you really got your money's worth.>>Best regards.>>Luis>I have the whole state in various resolutions and seasons but all is in full color and cloudless, I have my hands full just doing Rochester in all seasons with nightmaps for now though.Thanks for the kind words Luis. :)New Link to pics here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=98545&page=

Paul,The screen shots certainly look impressive. There is one item - I have tried photoreal but always thought that the result was less clear than the synthetic scenery. I like to fly around 2000 to 3000ft AGL. Could you show some lower level views, such as a side view from inside the Cessna. And,is my observation true, in your opinion, or did I have something messed up?Finally, where did you get all of the aerial photos???Dick Boley KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest PaulL01

>Paul,>The screen shots certainly look impressive. There is one item>- I have tried photoreal but always thought that the result>was less clear than the synthetic scenery. I like to fly>around 2000 to 3000ft AGL. Could you show some lower level>views, such as a side view from inside the Cessna. And,is my>observation true, in your opinion, or did I have something>messed up?>>Finally, where did you get all of the aerial photos???>Dick Boley KLBEHi Dick,Most of those shots are +/-3000 AGL, but tonight I can snap another for you at 2000 agl.As far as a comparison to the synth...when resampeling your data great care has to be taken to use the right tools and processes as you can have great data but end up with poor results.I use Arcview and Global mapper for GIS (always export at the highest resolution) Elrond Elvish's "Imagetool" for resampling using the Lanczos3 filter as well as Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photopaint to help things along. Most important you have to have the best data to begin with, I have seen plenty of 2meter products that were sampled badly to 2m and they never would resample as good as some well sampled 5m products so its always good to shop around for data and learn some of the ways things get done.Take care.

Paul, just got back in town...your very welcome if I've helped you. My pleasure has always been to see us all sharing to learn new things. The complements on your work above make me want to see it, but alas...the link seems not to work for me. Not sure why, but I will say one thing, your rochester project always seemed to be just out of reach..hopefully this means you're back...your work has always looked top notch!Best,Bob

Dick, there is a tradeoff that's natural, as the real world doesn't lend itself to low resolution pixelation, and nicely aligned pixels (clear views close up) tend to look more artificial from 3000'. Its more about what floats your boat than anything else. As Paul has said, there are ways to optimize (likely true for both methods), and once you've optimized, you just choose what you prefer. Some combination methods are possible, using vtp2 polygons and photoreal imagry. doing this, you can use default landclass in customized fashion combined with photoreal in patches which may serve to minimize your sense of unclear imagry from low down. Best,Bob B

Guest PaulL01

>Paul,>The screen shots certainly look impressive. There is one item>- I have tried photoreal but always thought that the result>was less clear than the synthetic scenery. I like to fly>around 2000 to 3000ft AGL. Could you show some lower level>views, such as a side view from inside the Cessna. And,is my>observation true, in your opinion, or did I have something>messed up?>Here ya go Dick:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=98801&page=>Finally, where did you get all of the aerial photos???>Dick Boley KLBEAll of the data used has been purchased through various local and international outlets, fortunately I am no longer alone in this as the moneys spent are enough to purchase a small modest home. :-eek Rochester is a great place for this kind of data as it is home to Kodak, Xerox, Bausch & Lomb as well as RIT and the many supportive groups as well as other smaller concerns that use all the imagery based products like - http://www.pictometry.com/ who are just down the road from me. You wouldn't believe what some of these places do! Droooollll!!!