Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrsky75

The best computer to run MSFS 2002 at? Need an advice

Guest georgi55

>Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i saw that alienware >computer, it looks so darn nice, but i am just wondering if >the pieces it has, are good parts, but it does seem to be a >nice system,i am looking for prices in the links you guys >gave me, thanks. For the alienware, yes, it is customized for the best gaming perfomance with best configuration and best parts.But, as others said, if you can, build it yourself.Aleinware is for people who don't care how much money they waste on PC and they don't want to build themself.

Guest SD Sim

I concur with Max, build your own system. As a San Diego resident, I highly recommend that you check out CompCity. They have all the components you would need, and they're competitive with the on-line sources you will find with pricewatch. An added bonus is that they will assemble your custom system for free, including a 1 year warranty on the system if they build it (only 30 days, I believe, if you build it yourself).The one piece of advice where I will depart from Max is to suggest that you save your money and go with a GF3 Ti500 (but get the XP2100). My experience with the two systems I have is that the faster memory made a vast difference in FS2002 (50% improved FR for new "server" relative to the older "client", when using the Ti 4600 in each). When I use 3D Mark2001 SE to benchmark, the same comparison results in a significant boost (score of 5700 with the P4, 9300 with the XP1800). However, in FS2002, I don't see the same magnitude difference when I compare the performance with my GF2 MX400 (in the PCI slot!!) relative to the Ti4600. So I'm a firm believer that faster memory and cpu's are the way to go. Now of course if you can wait for a few months (I couldn't), then the wait will be well worth it. If you want to learn more, read this excellent thread by Elrond [http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1123&forum=DCForumID8&archive=]. I will be using these future advances when I build my new server (the current server will be relegated "client" status).Oh, and as far as the earlier comment in this thread about computer "experts", there are many in this forum (Max, Elrond, PaulL01, LAdamson, just to name a few) who know more than anyone I have ever spoke with. You can't go wrong with their advice :-) .

Guest jrsky75

I don't think i'm getting alienware, cz i also wanna buy the rudder and joke, and tha money wouldn't fill the prices...Guys, please keep up the suggestions, each part by part, and by the way, if someone could expain me how to get cool Tower cases line alienwares.Best RegardsRodrigo NavarroKSAN / MMTJ

I purchased a custom built system from www.pcusa.com/. You can choose every component of the system and their prices are very competitive. I ordered it on Friday and received it the next Friday by UPS Ground. I have also ordered 2 systems from www.cyberpowerpc.com and been very satisfied. I did not order from them this time because they did not have a Northwood chip available.I would not recommend www.digirex.com. I ordered a custom system from them and after six weeks they still had not shipped the system. Plus they charged my credit card the day the order was placed. I finally had to dispute the charge with my bank to get the charge removed.

Guest simpilot

Rodrigo,I would have to concur on building your own system. I am also in the midst of considering a new system (Flightsim is an expensive habit :-))!In my investigations the cases that alienware uses appear to be Antec cases in which there are several off brands of essentially the same design; for example, newegg.com has a Chieftec case similar to the Alienware case for $69.00 which includes 2 case fans and a 420 watt P/S. In terms of the MB, I am contemplating the nForce chipset from either Asus or MSI with the integrated sound and LAN (This is really a dilemma for me at the moment). But all in all, I think that I can get an entirely new system right now based on an AMD XP CPU for around $700 US.Cheers!Richard

Guest georgi55

>Guys, please keep up the suggestions, each part by part, and >by the way, if someone could expain me how to get cool Tower >cases line alienwares. I think you can get case only from alienware but again, it's alfuly high priced.

Guest jrsky75

Edit- BUMP!

Guest jrsky75

Guys, thanks a lot for the comments, I do now have lots of sources where to find what i need, what i know need..is a recommended complete hardware list:)BUMP- guys, please post your hardware recommendations here, thanks a lot!Best Regards:-jumpyRodrigo NavarroKSAN / MMTJBest RegardsRodrigo NavarroKSAN / MMTJ

Guest jrsky75

BUMPBest Regards:-jumpyRodrigo NavarroKSAN / MMTJ

Guest Max Cowgill

>Guys, thanks a lot for the comments, I do now have lots of >sources where to find what i need, what i know need..is a >recommended complete hardware list:) >>BUMP- guys, please post your hardware recommendations here, >thanks a lot! Rodrigo, I offer system configuration services for free to any and all Avsim users who need advice when selecting components for building systems. If you'd like, e-mail me at flyermax2k1@yahoo.com or instant message me on AIM (s/n: flyermax2k1) and I'll be more than happy to configure a system for you that's well within your budget (ALL components necessary to build a system are included in the list I provide). Max Cowgill

Guest Lizardo

Lots of ideas..I am as confused as ever though, haha. Here's a question... we all hear of FS2K2 etc being run on home computers. And as we know, none of us have ones as good as NASA etc. Has anyone ever run these on a BIG, INDUSTRIAL rig?..just curious as to what the screen shots would look like, this running full max on say the rig they used to make the movie SHREK? (or military during coffe-break).

Guest Max Cowgill

>Lots of ideas..I am as confused as ever though, haha. >Here's a question... we all hear of FS2K2 etc being run on >home computers. And as we know, none of us have ones as good >as NASA etc. Has anyone ever run these on a BIG, INDUSTRIAL >rig?..just curious as to what the screen shots would look >like, this running full max on say the rig they used to make >the movie SHREK? (or military during coffe-break). ::(: MSFS is a WINDOWS application. Most powerful computers do not run Windows, nor are they even designed with Windows in mind, therefore you cannot run MSFS on them except through some sort of emulation which cripples performance and does not guarantee the same results as if Windows were the actual O.S. Not that Windows has guaranteed results but you know what I mean...Max Cowgill

Guest Lizardo

I sort of assumed that, haha. However..some people have been known to stick windows into "someone elses puter", haha, among other apps. I guess it's a rhetorical question...which comes down to: is there a puter big/strong/fast enough to do it wide open, with tons of add ons, and make it look like the box? Or is it, more or less, designed one step ahead of the puter industry? {which leads on to FS2004..do we buy new computers again?). I know I will, I have a dinosaur.