Sign in to follow this  
arno

Stronger Lights in FS2004?

Guest luissa

Hi,It has already been reported here the problem that lights, made either with SCASM Dot()or Light(), have a very limited range.I have a series of "pilot houses" that iluminate at night and worked reasonable well in FS2002. Now the light beams are only visible at less than 2 miles or so. I also had custom runway illuminations that suffer from this low visibility range problem.Do gMax designers get high range visibility for lights as in FS2002?Any tips would be greatly appreciated,Regards, Luis

Hi Luis,I have encountered the same problems. I was trying to make a custom runway lighting, but because of the low visibility range I stopped with that.The lights made from GMax use the BGL_LIGHT command, which is equivalent to the SCASM Light command. But it suffers from the same range limitations as the Dot command. So I am afraid that this is something hardcoded in the scenery engine that we can not solve.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest luissa

Hi,Thank you Arno. Default lights in FS2004 are visible very far and there must be a trick that we do not know. I am thinking in making a square that rotates to the viewer. The square would be TexPolyed with the halo.bmp (I think this the name of the texture that makes a point of light).Now what I wanted was a way to set the scale proportional to the distance. If I am very far then a large sacle was used. I know that I can read distance to the viewer in variable 33B (may be it is not this one as I have not the docs where I am). I do not know of an elegant way to set the scale apart from a series of IfVarRanges based on that 33B.Regards, Luis

Guest luissa

Hi,Sorry! Did hit the SEND button twice!Regards, Luis

Hi Luis,That sounds like a good idea. The halo.bmp is indeed used by the default lights (also by the Dot command lights btw). But how would you do that with different colors? Make a different variant of the texture?Maybe you could use the IfHSize and IfVSize commands to check the size of the object on the screen and change the scale with that? But I think just like the 33B, you will need a series of checks anyway.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog