Sign in to follow this  
Guest Largo

Lwm masks in CFS2

Guest Largo

Hallo, this is my first post.Following the tips and discoveries of Richard Ludowise, and using the excellent program of Christian Fumey Ground2k (v. 4.0), I have begun last week to modify the coastlines in some restricted zones of CFS2.I have by the time nearly finished La Spezia harbor, with good results. At the moment I'm working on a more ambitious project, Malta and Gozo. After some pains in finding an appropriate map, as there is no NIMA coverage for the area, I finally got stuck: no matter what I do, I can't find a way to hide some areas of the default scenery. There is no problem in covering areas originally filled with land, but the suggested solution in covering areas that show up originally sea (land area fill + landclass) does not seem to have the dearly desired effect - what happens is that the WHOLE area up to its boundaries becomes land. Dick, Christian, anyone, is there a solution, am I technically impaired or is this a bug?Any help will be greatly appreciated, especially because results can be really good...Largo

Hi Largo.If you attach the LWM file created by Ground2k, I'd be able to look at it. No need to include the background bitmap... just the LWM as a txt file attachment or a zipped file to the post.I can then recreate the BGLS on my computer and try to see what's up.Dick

Guest Largo

Hi Dick,here's the LWM of Malta I was talking about. You will see it's quite a dirty job at the moment, and also that if you use any kind of mesh better than the original the relative accuracy of the northern part of the island is much worse than the central one - that is, the strip of land that stands for Valletta. I've enclosed for information the CIA map I used : projection problems? By the way, such kind of probs could explain in part why your generous attempt to move the CFS community towards a new map of Europe has had so few (none, as I know) results. NIMA data apart (and my experience tells me that also those can be tricky), finding a close representation of the areas one wishes to modify is not easy. Thanks a lot for the help,Largo

Hi Largo.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/49383.jpgHere's a 3 step solution.Step 1 is already done... your land polygon. ( Get rid of the area fills ).Step 2 is a large enclosing water poly.Now you've got your land and water... but some areas will show as water because their landclass value is 000 ( water-looking landclass value ). Step 3 is to landclass the purple area as an appropriate landclass area... like value 008 for barren if you like. The LC button will start you off on landclassing. I usually work the opposite way. First I change everything to land, then I carve out the water as polys, then I landclass needed areas. For islands, the proposed way works OK.Dick

Guest Largo

Indeed, landclass and no area fill was the solution. But without having to pass through step 2: in fact, each time I tried to generate the bgl with the water-enclosing poly in my original "Malta" bgl I got a message "(622) two curves cross". Did you perhaps forget to say that the new water polygon has to be created in a new, separate file? I assume that the curves crossing are the ones of the base land polygon (step 1) and the overlying water polygon: I say this by simple experience, because I have never been able to finish a project in which two polygons lay one on top of the other. Anyway landclass alone did it, and made me understand another shade of the work to be done.Thanks a lotGiorgio