Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

VTP2 with custom texture overrides VTP2 with landclass assignment

Dick, I used layer 4 for the custom textured poly, I tried several layers for the other one..4, 8, and 12And yes, I put vtp excludes in place on the "crest" scenery layer (the one that contained the custom textured polys). I tried changing the scenery layers in fs, but no change.Have you succeeded at having both custom textured polys and landclass polys in the same scenery?Bob

Thanks Dick, I assumed it should work. Hope I wasn't too presumptious, I sent you my lmw file along with textures, and the bgls I get. If its not too much trouble, I sure appreciate it if you could find my error!Much obliged.B

Hi Bob.I hope you received my reply.What you discovered is that CUSTOM landclass values ( #252 and #253 ) cannot be mixed in the same bgl with other landclass values. This means for Ground2K4 or CoastLine Maker, we need a separate source file for the CUSTOM.This is also true of resampled landclass... you can make a photorealLC by using #252 or #253, but those values cannot be mixed in the same bgl as the other landclass values.I have wondered why the MS design team never mentioned the use of CUSTOM values with VTP, and never used them themselves. I conclude they simply don't understand VTP polys! If they did, they would have never gotten rid of VTP1, they would have fixed the annoying texture vertical flip, and they would have allowed the mixing of CUSTOM with other landclass values in VTP polys.VTP2 hasn't changed at all in FS9 from FS2002... but the terrain engine did change as they eliminated VTP1. If they were going to change anyting in the terrain engine ( concerning VTPs ), it should have been to correct the vertical flipping of textures! At least VTP1 allowed us to flip the texture in code.Very annoying for designers, but the MS team doesn't rework scenery, so things like this wouldn't be a concern of their's. x(Dick

Dick, many thanks for your time checking on this...I just wish my "discoveries" were more on the Positive side...:-))Seems around every corner is a small gotcha designing for this sim. Seems slightly more annoying than last version...although memory fades...I suppose by this time in the last version we were just discovering how resample.exe worked.Bob B

Hi Bob.The sad part is that I might be the only one that would have remembered the landclass/CUSTOM mixing problems with resample... and connected it to VTP polys. ( Well, there's 2 of us now ;) )Dick