Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sam Hawks

Scenery design tools

Guest Sam Hawks

Greetings everyone,I'm new here and to FS scenery design. I already am using FSSC, but I would like to know if anyone here would recommend a specific program for desiging API macros. I'm using EOD, but am getting mad at some of its limitations. Can I use GMax? Thanks everyone!-Sam Hawks

Yes, you can use GMax. It is a bit hard to learn at first, but after that you will see that you have a lot of options with it.To create an API from GMax you need to make a library with FsRegen first for the moment (I am working on a more direct approach).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Sam Hawks

What is FSRegen? Sorry, but I'm new at this whole scenery thing. Could you feel me in?Thanks

FsRegen is a little tool that can put GMax objects in an object library. It also creates the APIs for you that call these objects again. This is needed because GMax can not make an API direct.You can find more info here: http://www.nhreas.com/fsregen.html

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest Sam Hawks

Thanks- just another quick question, how do you apply textures to GMax objects? (I think I may be getting in way over my head)-Sam

That is hard to expain here in text.I would advice you to read the help files and the MS tutorial about making the house first. These should help you in understand how it works.

Arno

Guest Sam Hawks

K- just as an fyi, I don't have FS 2002 pro, I got GMax from the discreet website. Is the program still the same? ANd where may I find the tutorials?Thanks for you help!Sam

Yes, the program is still the same (the latest version is on the website actually). But if you don't have Fs2002Pro you can't export at the moment. At the moment that is the only version of FS that has the gamepack that allows you to export from GMax to a BGL scenery file. I expect that MS will release a new gamepack for Fs2004 in one of there SDKs, but it is still not there.You can download the GMax tutorials also from their website (just as the help files). The MS tutorial can be found on the Fs2002 SDK page.

Arno

Guest GerrishGray

Hi SamApart from gMax, you should be aware that there are two other equally good tools available for creating 3D models, although both are payware. One is Abacus FS Design Studio, v.2 (FSDS2) and the other is Rafael Sanchez' NovaSim. Both produce up-to-date code for FS2002/4 using similar techniques to gMax. Both are probably easier to learn than gMax too!FSDS2 has an interface fairly similar to EOD, but is more powerful and more up-to-date. It is particularly good at building aircraft models but can be used for scenery objects as well. Go to www.abacuspub.com for more details.NovaSim comes from the 'grand-daddy' of 3D modelling programs for FS - Rafael Sanchez, who started the whole genre with a famous program called VOD. NovaSim is his latest creation and is designed specifically for creating scenery models - it has no facilities for aircraft modelling. Because it is scenery-specific, it has the most amazing range of tools and facilities relevant to FS scenery designers. Go to www.fsnova.com for details.Hope this helps, in addition to Arno's excellent adviceCheersGerrish

Guest Sam Hawks

Indeed- thanks for the info, I'll have to look into those. DO you know if NovaSIm works as a limited trial program?Thanks again for the help!

Guest GerrishGray

Hi SamI'm not sure about a limited trial. I know that you can download the program before paying for a license, but whether you can actually use the unlicensed version at all I just don't know. I expect it tells you on the website at www.fsnova.com though.CheersGerrish

Guest Sam Hawks

Hey thanks- I'll give it a shot