Sign in to follow this  
Guest JOBIA

light map problems in FS9

Hi there:now that the seasonal CTDs have been dealt with (http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=121&topic_id=164441&mesg_id=164441&page=2) we can happily move on to the next "bug":Has anyone seen something like this before?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/52138.jpgQuite pretty and it certainly fits in with Lord of the Rings and Christmas but it's not actually an intended effect :-)What you're looking at is a glacier that I modelled as a VTP2 polygon in Ground2K4. Sometimes (but not always!) dusk or dawn triggers city-type lightmaps with this and other autogen-free VTP2 polys of mine, such as sand bars in rivers, cutblocks, etc.Any ideas why this happens and how to make it go away???Cheers, Holger

If you look in the source of the VTP polygons, is there a LM texture defined there?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno:I'm not quite sure what you mean, the Ground2K4 .asm or the actual textures used? When I look at the .asm code I don't see any special reference to a LM texture???It seems that this bug is something that has been observed in FS2002 as well. Joachim, who just provided the global patch for the seasonal CTDs, pointed me to his website, which explains the problem and actually provides a fix, albeit for Europe only. He's going to have a look at my files and I'll report back here. Obviously, we can't say yet whether it's indeed the same problem. The link to the website (in German!) website is here: http://jobia2.bei.t-online.de/rasenpat.htmSomehow the LM textures get mixed up and thus city-type lightmaps appear during dusk and dawn in all VTP2 polys. What is strange is that the bug gets "transmitted" via saved flights: once you save a new flight based on a flight with the problem active, the new flight will have the problem too. If one starts with a clean flight, there's no issue.The questions are (1) what triggers the problem in the first place (2) why does it get transmitted by .flt files and (3) what can be done about it?So, nobody else with VTP2 add-on sceneries has had this problem? Very strange indeed...Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the extra info, seems indeed to be a bit more complex then a simple error here or there :D. If there would be something wrong in the asm file it would happen all the time or not.Guess I need to think a bit more about this interesting problem,

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JOBIA

i think this is not the same problem.