Sign in to follow this  
Guest JR Morgan

Total beginner :-(

Hi everyone. Is there a simple way to make small edits to the scenery of a specific airport? I usually fly out of Buchannen Field in Concord - RW as well as in FS2002 - and I'd like to make the FS airport a little more realistic. Nothing major, just some runway/taxiway signs, logos on those buildings that are correctly placed, and maybe add a couple that aren't there at all. Is there any way to do this simply, or does it involve learning a lot of stuff and installing special editing software as used by those of you who write some of these great add-on airports I've downloaded?Richard

I'd read the web site for FSSC or Airport for Windows, or AFCAD 2.11.Do web searches...I don't have the web sites links, but it doesn't take more than a second to find them.EnjoyBob Bernstein

Thanks, I'm downloading "Airport for Windows" as I type, I'll see how we go with it. If it's not too complex maybe look for a KCCR upload at some point :-)I'd like to get it done before Buchannen goes the way of Meigs :-(Richard

OK, I downloaded Airport for Windows, and installed it. I see how to open a new airport, or one written in AfW, but not how to open an existing FS2002 .bgl file. I've been able to look inside the AFD tree files for the info about runway places, etc, but can't see hot to convert it to an AfW file for me to edit.Can anyone help?Richard

Guest meyrowings

Hi,You cannot open an existing bgl file for a remake!You can ADD objects, most simple would be installig fsconnect to Your fs and let airport 3.x sync the position with FS - means, in FS, go to the desired spot, swich over to AfW3 and get coordinates via fsconnect, then add a macro. Ehen You have placed all You want, compile the scenery and add it to FS.Torsten

This is correct, you can not open and change a default BGL file. You will have to make a new BGL with the things you want to add and you can use excludes to remove the parts you want to get rid of.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JR Morgan

Hi Richard...I use AFW 3.0 and for me, the easiest way to do what you want to do is to open FS9 and go to the airport where you wish to add (or exclude) scenery objects and take a screen shot to use as a 'background map' in AFW to guide in placing new objects or excluding default objects.IMHO, using the view looking down from your plane ( is better than using the "top-down" choice of views from the M$ menu because top-down view cannot be fine-tuned to get the exact size of area coverage needed in most cases.AFW now treats background maps same as any scenery object, therefore, one can quickly move the background map with the keyboard's 80.000 at first, else the map will be huge and confusing. The "80.000" can be quickly typed-in -- or you can use the + or - buttons in the edit window. Typing-in the value to achieve something close to realism and then using the + or - buttons to fine-tune the scale can be done fairly quickly.The picture below shows a background map created this way which allows easy modification of an existing airport. Background (bit)maps can be "browsed-to" from any location on your computer, however, it's quicker to place them in your AFW root folder, where their .bmp names will already be in the 'Edit Background Map' menu.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/53193.jpg'Hope this helps;J.R.

Thanks again for the help, I've gotten that working !I do have a problem still though. I'm trying to add some signs to my scenery, and I see the default Runway signs..... 'but'....1) How do I put more than just a runway number onto a Runway sign? I've got signs that read "01 - 19" to appear no problem, but how do I get "01L - 19R" 2) How do I add a taxiway sign? These are yellow letters on a black background, and that isn't a choice in the default signs?Also, I've seen reference to an online taxiway sign designer at www.taxiwaysigns.com, but when I try to go there it wants a username, password and domain - no homepage or option to register appears. Is this a paysite, and does anyone know what it costs and how one registers?Thanks again,Richard

Guest EMT_Dave

Richard,Here is a simple way to create taxiway signs using the new BGLComp process:Since I dont know where to find the link data for the post I copied from the original post. Credit goes to TDragger!*******************************************************Actually the BGLComp SDK uses the sample compiler used tocreate the default scenery (with a few updates for stylisticconsistency). Specfically regarding taxiway signs:Taxiway signs are made up of individual components (whichmay, themselves consist of subcomponents) that areconcatenated together based on the contents of the labelproperty. Each component can have one of three possiblestyles:Location sign: yellow lettering on black backgroundDirection sign: black lettering on yellow backgroundRunway sign: white lettering on red backgroundYou specify the type of sign component by a letter:

Thanks, Dave, but I'm using Airport for Windows, not BGLComp, which I think is only for FS2004? (I use FS2002)Anyone know how to edit a sign in AfW ?Richard