Sign in to follow this  
Guest Webapache3000

Gmax nightlight in FS9

Guest Webapache3000

Hi all,i'm really at the end. I want to create a simple light to my building. A simple red light as a'n "obstruction warninglight" but, whatever i did, nothing, really nothing work's. So let me describe what i have done:First of all, i created a 2D Objekt- a simple treangle. All of the "Splines" are closed. The name of the objekt is: "light_nav_1"The next step is to convert my objekt (really a small objekt, smaller than a quarter of a'n meter) into a'n "editable Mesh".For the next time, i move to the "Material Editor" and select a "Standard material". The material name is: "light_nav". Yet i click on the "Diffuse Color Box", turning the color to red (255,0,0) closing the coloreditor an whitin the selected polygon, i click "Apply" an the color of my polygon turns to red.Next is, to save my project and export the polygon with "MakeMDL" from the menue item. I have to type in all my data, and in the "Option" register, i enabled the item "HasLightMap".I get no export error. At the end of this, i'm starting my fs9, the Scenery bibl. creates a new terrain index and the simulation starts at the same position where i have added the light.But....... NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING !!! No light at night, no polygon at day, no effect, no red light.I don't know what's happend, i have no idea what the problem is. I only hopefull, if there is someone in this forum they can help my? So please help me, else i will install an effects file with a firework on my little tower building, so that anyone can really see this building *g*.Thanks in front for your helpBest regards from Hamburg / GermanyOlli

sounds like you did everything right...you don't have to do the option "has lightmap", cuz your light is a special material name, but that shouuldn't stop it from showing.I'll bet its something like..a. You haven't included a static visible part along with your light...you have to do thator b. Your light is underground....that's easy to door c. the scenery dir was never added to the fs library...Best,Bob Bernstein

Guest Webapache3000

Hi Bob,thanks for your answer.At the past, i have tryed to create a box near the element. The Box is visible in the flight sim. Box and polygon are on the same altitude with a vertical differens at 1 meter, but the polygon dose not shown in the sim.I have no idea what this is.Do you have a gmax file with a working light? I think it can be a good test for me.So, I will look up to your tips and will see if it works.Olli

Guest Webapache3000

So, i see what the problem is.At the first time i gave my two objekts no mapping colors, the Polygon and the Box will shown up in scenery.And.... from this time on, i give the polygon the lightmap (light_nav) it will be unvisible. It is not under ground, it stands 10 meters in the air, but unvisible.As I remove the lightmap, the polygon will come back to visible.Nice problem, any idea? *lol*Olli

It is correct that no polygon will be shown for the light, but you should see a light dot at the center of the polygon.Are you sure you didn't set the color to be transparant?Otherwise, could you have a look at the yourfile_0.asm file that GMax creates when you select the keep files option? Somewhere near the end of that file you should find a BGL_LIGHT command it everything went correct.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Webapache3000

Hi Bob, hi arno,thanks for your helping :-)I have resolve the problem.I had not the newest vision of MakeMDL.Now, i downloaded the MakeMDL SDK vom the FS site, and what is the result?... all lights are burning. *hiphip*So, thanks for your help, hope i can contact you on, maybe in the next time ?!Best regards, an mary christmasOlliP.S.: If YOU have any kind of problems, feel free to ask me.