Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

How can I make transparent textures with gmax?

Guest HSIMAN

Hi folksHow can I modify a 512x512 texture so it looks transparent in gmax?what graphic program do I have to use??I would like to make texture that looks like glass and so we can see throughThanks a lotmerry christmas to allchristian, paris

This has nothing to do with GMax, the transparancy is a property of the texture only.You need a paint program (but you already need one to make the texture anyway) and it is easiest if you can work with the alpha channel in that program as well. This alpha channel contains the information about the transparancy. If you then save it with this alpha channel and load it into ImageTool you can save it in a DXT format that FS uses.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest HSIMAN

thanks arnoI know this has nothing to do with gmax I just asked wrongI found bmp200 and I was able to give my bmp th transparency I wanted; when I save the bmp in bmp2000 it is saved as extended bmp; is it dxt?thanks againchris

Guest ScottR

Christian,I got stuck on this one myself but once I figured it out I wrote a little proceedure so I wouldn't forget.First download Martin Wrights excellent DXTBmp program then using this and Paintshop Pro or some other graphics editor:1. Create texture image as normal bitmap and in GMAX apply to the gmax object. Use "both sides" tick box when applying image.2. Open image in DXTbmp using "Load Normal Image". Use "send to editor' button in right hand toolbar. Edit alpha in PSP8 using black as transparent and white as showing the texture. "Save" alpha image in PSP8 once done. Note save location. ORMake a black/white (or grey/white) mask (i.e. a copy of the texture bitmap but with black for transparent and white for where you want the texture to show as normal)in PSP and save as a normal bmp. 3. Back in DXTbmp, use "import alpha channel" button on right toolbar and import.4. Save image using "save extended image" and save as "DXT3 with alpha"5. Place image in "texture" folder in FS2002, but change name to same as original bitmap in gmax.6. Export gmax file to scenery folder as normal.Hope this helps

No, BMP2000 makes an other, older format, you can better use BMPDXT from the same author then,

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hello Scott,You mention that you save in DXT3 format. Is there any advantage to this over DXT1?Best regards.Luis

Guest ScottR

LuisDXT1 format allows only 1 bit transparency so that the texture is either completely tranparent or appears solid.DXT3 format allows 4 bit tranparency that gives 16 levels of transparency depending on the greyscale colour of the mask.Of course, the other way to create windows you can see through in gmax is to create a semitransparent object. You can create your building, add textures to it, then create an object outside the building the shape of your window. Clone one copy and make it transparent. Then insert the first object into the side of the building and use boolean subtraction to make it disappear leaving a hole in the building. Then insert your transparent cloned object into the hole and hey presto you have a window you can see into, with the original wall texture still in place around it.Best regards

Guest voscon

Hi christian,In gmax, when applying materials, you can select the % opacity of any colour made in, say, paintshop pro. It's straight forward when you select to apply the material and look at the selection window.Cheers, voscon