Sign in to follow this  
Guest bostar2004

How do I make Ground texture polygons

Guest ice_gft

Hi, I am kind off newbie in scenery design, I know Gmax, so the building design is realy easy for me, but I can't figure out how to create ground textures, both of them, the ones for the whole area and the ones for the airport(taxiways, runway, building contourns and that stuff)Is there a good tutorial, or could someone explain me how to do this??Thanks and ByeAlex Eylerts

Guest sapper42

Gday Alex, if your talking about the Airport Ground Polygon and want it to look like the Default MS type ( VTP2 Polygon ) i did a tutorial for VTP2 Polygons that is hosted at www.scenery.org in the tutorial section. Dummies Guide to VTP2 textures i think it is.Uses Files from various authors to create and is simple to follow such as Dicks TDF Macros , Dereks FSSC etc and it lists the programs you need to obtain. A simple way to create your taxiways and aprons etc is with AFCAD for FS9 if your using FS9 as mentioned before.good luck and stick with it :0)Merry Xmas: Jeff

Guest ice_gft

Thankis Jeff... but I am looking to create own custon ground textures, like the emma field runway or so... Do you know how to do that??Bya an Merry Xmas o allAlex Eylerts

Guest sapper42

What I do is to create either, several VTP polygons and place them ontop of each other. eg: an airport polygon then for a dirt rwy , another polygon placed and rotated to the correct co-ords.Or ! you can create a polygon in FSDS ( thats what i use by personal pref ) to the size that i want, then i make a custom texture to fit and to create soft edges, i use an alpha channel to mask out what i dont want in paint shop pro. Then i save it as a TGA file after resizing it to eg: 1024 x 1024. Next i use ImageTool and convert from a 32 bit TGA file to a DXT1 File and then save it as a BMP file.Once i add the texture to the polygon and place it in the scenery, it looks fine, however you may haveto use trial and error to get the Image the correct scale but it does work.If you for example use FSDS for your polygon you will need to hand edit the Scasm code you make to remove the perspective and shadow call commands and add a layercall command for it to work correctly.Arno has a good tutorial for this on his webpage and its very simple to follow.Good luck and if your still stuck, yell out .rgds Jeff