Sign in to follow this  
arno

Seasons in FSDS or Gmax

Guest Christian DK

Hi, and MERRY CHRISTMASI have made a tree in FSDS2, i have seasonal textures but they dont show up, and there is no option in fsds to add them.Does anyone know a way???Can it be done in gmax............and how. ( the texturing part only)BestChris DK

Guest Christian DK

Hi,I have already printed the manual, but there is nothing about the seasonal textures only about Lightmap, damage.I can choose display conditions but that does not help me, since it display the whole object.Ofcourse i can choose display conditions and copy the object many times and change the textures, but then i will have a macro there is 5 times bigger that normal.BestChris DK

Ok, I went back and checked, and the seasonal tutorial was part of FSDS1, not FSDS2. It appears that this feature is not supported directly through FSDS anymore. However, I'm sure it is still possible, but you aare going to delve into the mukky depths of SCASM code. I haven't used seasonal textures before, so it's a little beyond my capabilities, and I have no desire to leaarn it right now. However, I do know where to look for the information.After you create your .api files, you can edit them in notepad. If you've never done this before, then it might just pretty strange, but it really is quite simple once you get used to it. Anyway, check with the SCASM manual and there might be an example in there of how to do this. Also, download Gerrish Gray's tree library and see how he did it, since he uses seasonal textures on his trees.- Martin

Guest Larry S

In FSDS, I assign the summer texture, then go to properties. For pre-process, add a condition, and choose summer. Then copy-paste the object, change it to the fall texture, change the condition to fall, and so on. You end up with four copies of the same tree or whatever, but only one shows at a time depending on the season.I also checked the manual, and everywhere else I could think to look for an easier way, couldn't find nothin. In the earlier 2002 version of FSDS, there was a "use seasonal textures" checkbox, but it ain't there no more.

Guest Christian DK

Thanks for the help, i will try to edit the scasm codeBUT why did they remove that button???.....strange.BestChris Dk

I was just looking through Gerrish Gray's tree library. The .API file he uses to call the library object seems to call different objects based on hemisphere and season. It doesn't call a different texture based on season, as I thought.If you are making trees, you would be better off to place them in a library as he has done, since this will improve performance, and result in smaller file sizes.- Martin

Ok, I read through the SCASM docs, and here's what I found:There are seasonal textures available for the LoadBitmap command, but the TextureList command is a little vague. I think there are two possibilities here. Either you can list all the textures into the TextureList command, or you can use switches that LoadBitmap uses.If you edit your .API file by using notepad, look for a line that starts with "TextureList". This is the line that has a trigger that will make it look for seasonal textures. The line should read something like this:TextureList( 0 6 FF 255 255 255 0 6.096000 "bar04.bmp" )Notice the number"6" in the line. That number tells us that the texture is being applied to a building. To give the texture other conditional attributes, we can precede the number with the following letters:L _LM.BMP (night) light mapW _WI.BMP winter bitmapH _HW.BMP hard winter bitmapF _FA.BMP fall/autum bitmapS _SP.BMP spring bitmapSo, your regular bitmap will be considered the "summer" version. If you want your macro to display a summer and winter version, you would replace the "6" in the TextureList line with "W6". If you wanted summer,fall,winter and spring textures, you would replace the "6" with "WFS6".At least I "think" this is the way it should work, since I'm only going by my own interpretation of the docs. I hope someone with some real knowledge jumps in here soon...Anyway, try the above, and if it doesn't work, then it may be that all the textures simply get listed in the TextureList line. I noticed in my macros that night textures seem to be applied this way, but with 256 instead of L6 in the "class" position.- Martin

Here are some related threads:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchAll this has lead me to beleive that what you want to do may not be possible. It's mentioned in one of the threads that the LoadBitmap finction works with seasonal textures, but the TextureList function does not. - Martin

Guest Christian DK

Hi,I have found another way, i moved my scenery buildings 2 meters more away from the road and then i was able to generate autogen trees.Thanks BestChris DK

That is correct, it does not work that way :).I have made a tip how you can make it work with GMax/ASM. The principle for SCASM is the same but the commands should be translated (IFIN1 = IfVarRange).http://www.scenerydesign.org/modules.php?n...order=0&thold=0In principle this is the Fs98 way of working with seasons.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog