Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

Attn: Dick Ludowise - Results of first XML test

Guest JR Morgan

Hi Dick...Well, here's my first Bglcomp produced bgl using the XML example in the SDK doc. My main motive was to confirm that the Oil Rig Helipad surface was indeed HARDENED using the XML code and was indeed NOT HARDENED when using SCASM 2.90 to compile the object.The result is, as you reported:1) Using XML, the helipad is properly hardened.2) Using SCASM 2.90 to call the Oil Rig object as a library Object, the helipad is NOT HARDENED and requires application of an added hardening macro to harden the pad.Again, to my (old fashioned) regret; Score: SCASM=0; XML=1.So it looks like the "Handwriting's on the wall": Run, don't walk to start using Bglcomp/XML for user added MS scenery objects.On user designed objects, there's much to learn (here) on how to XML code object macros I've made in the past and create XML LibObjects for them.Bottom Line: The SCASM coded routines still work -- but they induce the penalty of having to use more add-on software and will likely cause less efficient machine overhead to implement and use.Redmond has spoken and to quote them (from the SDK introduction paragraph): "Scenery should no longer be created with BGL opcodes or the BGLC compiler from previous versions of Flight Simulator. The older BGL opcodes are supported for backward compatibility, however, we cannot guarantee their support in future releases."IMHO, 'not good news (for me) but just another challenge in the M$FS lane...BTW, desktop drag and drop compiling seems to work just fine with bglcomp.exe and .xsd located on the desktop.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/54269.jpgHappy Christmas to all;J.R.

Hi J.R.I'm getting used to the XML style code.Concerning objects... Gerrish has found that objects for FS9 code must exist in an Object Library. I found these will be easy to create... but it will require the FS9 MDL format ( in the upcoming MakeMDK SDK ). If we've saved our GMax code, we're probably in luck...The bad news is that so many older objects will not be able to be used.All these new objects will require GUID numbers... so hopefully there will be no conflicts with other numbers ( should be OK as the chances of duplication are pretty high { 32! of a base16 } ). Gerrish has written about a sensible way to create GUIDs in the past, and maybe he'll restate that when the MakeMDL is released, so we can come up with a standard of sorts.When all this occurs, we should be able to make a set of thin helipad objects that we can place anywhere ( remember, we will be able to place them at an altitude relative to AGL ).Dick

Guest sapper42

Gday FellasIve used the new BGLC to place 18 Rigs ( Default MS FS9 Type ) and all worked well, however, untill the SDK's Relevant to users of other than Gmax, and if it accomodates other methods of Object construction, looks to me that we will still be using Scasm and as per my last request for help, the Advanced Building Code works fine and is easy to hand code to suit. thanks again to Dick and J.R. for the info. As ive now got 18 rigs to build ( lucky most can be a Library.BGL file ) i think ill be stuck with the old way of doing things and will haveto hand optimise the code ( thanks to Gerrish for that heads up ).Rgds Jeff and Merry Xmas to all and a Safe and Happy New Year.

>Concerning objects... Gerrish has found that objects for FS9>code must exist in an Object Library. I found these will be>easy to create... but it will require the FS9 MDL format ( in>the upcoming MakeMDK SDK ). If we've saved our GMax code,>we're probably in luck...>>The bad news is that so many older objects will not be able to>be used.I've been thinking about what you wrote here. I guess that those of us who want to stay involved in scenery design will finally have to become proficient at GMAX. I figure that as newer versions of FS come out, they will be optimized for newer MakeMDL/XML formats, and retain the older legacy formats for backwards compatibility only.I guess when the MakeMDL SDK comes out, we will have more info to say for sure. But I'm not certain if it would have what we need to update SCASM and enable us to import our FSDS2 objects into the newer libraries. So, maybe this is the catalyst to finally push some of us die-hards into GMAX? It's probably not a bad thing.I've been experimenting with XML a little bit, and I think it is relatively straight foreword. It's a bit of a pain coding everything by hand, but I can see that it will be relatively easy to build a small library of XML files for commonly used objects. Maybe in the future we'll have a simple design program like AFW to handle some of the work for us. Also, it seems that AFCAD2 has it almost perfect when it comes to building the airports. I think the only thing missing are the taxiway signs and I think Lee Swordy might have this planned anyway.So, speaking of AFCAD2 - maybe this could be the all-in-one design tool, which lets us build airports, and place default buildings, and add custom Library Objects that were designed in GMAX. - Martin