Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

OT: Win XP

I have a 12 Gb disk in two partitions C:4 GB and D:8 GB, if i delete de D: partition the C: will have 12GB???TIAExcuse my poor english

Guest Max Cowgill

>I have a 12 Gb disk in two partitions C:4 GB and D:8 GB, if >i delete de D: partition the C: will have 12GB??? Not unless you reformat the drive to make the C: partition take up the whole drive. Simply getting rid of the D: partition will leave you with 8GB less HD storage :( Of course, if you don't want to deal with reformatting/repartitioning, you can always get a utility like Partition Magic which will allow you to do this in Windows.Max Cowgill

THX where can i get Partition Magic?? is it free???TIA

Before you get rid of the large partition and make your drive one huge partition, realize the consequences. The smaller the partition the smaller the cluster sizes, the more resolution you get. Conversely, the larger the partition the larger the cluster sizes, the less resolution you get. What does this mean in layman terms. Lets say you have a 1K text file on your 4GB partition, the cluster sizes are smaller and it takes 1 cluster to store the 1K text file. The remainder of the cluster cannot be used (wasted space). Storing the same 1K text file on your 8GB partition, the cluster sizes are larger and it still takes 1 cluster to store the 1K text file. The remainder of this cluster cannot be used (even more wasted space).Now what do you think is going to happen when you have it all in one 12GB partition?:-hmmm If you do decide to do it by repartitioning your hard drive and reformatting, watch the cluster sizes it states during the process. It really gets big past about 11GBs.Just something to think about!:-hmmm

Hi,Since he's talking about XP, what you describe doesn't apply - if using NTFS. Fat32 has that restriction, but NTFS does not. The cluster size on NTFS is 4k regardless of partition size: up into the terrabyte range (there are some technical reasons why this may not be the case in specific circumstances, but for this discussion those restrictions won't apply so lets not muddy the waters).To summarize: one partition on XP with NTFS on the largest of drives available today will use 4k clusters. It is the recommended way to run XP by Microsoft.Take care, http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif