Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sgt_AIS_2004

Any freeware scenery design programs

Guest aafuss

Are there any freeware scenery design programs to create airports/scenery that will work with FS2004?

Guest fame

>Are there any freeware scenery design programs to create>airports/scenery that will work with FS2004?Hi Aafuss:If you're asking for a recommendation in scenery design tools tocreate your hometown airport yourself, I recommend the followingprograms:FS Architect 2002.The software is very easy to install and use. You can download aFreeware version for evaluation purposes, plus a commercial version3.00 build 14 is also available. Take a peek at this Website for additional information and a feel forit's ease of use.Another program to consider is the recently updated (for FS2004) FSScenery Enhancer From Lago . What makesthis product special is that the whole process of scenery enhancingtakes place INSIDE Flight Simulator 2004 and not in a separateprogram. But be warned, it's a commercial software release.There are other programs as well, such as:Airport for Windows:http://www.airportforwindows.com/SCASM:http://www.scasm.de/gmax:http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/FS Scenery Creator:http://www.fssc.avsim.net/index.htmlto name a few of the better known ones. FS Scenery Creator is my pickfor a very nice freeware program. All have a learning curve...I hope this helps in some small way, visit the URL below (see sig),for additional ideas and suggestions.Good luck & Happy New YearTom G, Sr.

I recently created an airport entirely with freeware scenery tools. I used Gmax for my modeling, FlightSim Scenery Creator for layout, EZ Landclass for modifying the landclasses, Arno Gerretsen's Conditional Animation Tool for doing hangar door anims, Dick Ludowise's TCalc 2004 for getting coords from the sim for various purposes, Steve Greenwood's FSFlatten for easy creation of flatten areas and Lee Swordy's Traffic Tools to modify the taxiways and parking. So you see there's a LOT of freeware out there for your use. The hard part is figuring out all the various elements of scenery design you'll need to learn. Here are the basic elements that will get you started:1. Learn to build 3D models (if you don't already know) -- Gmax is the best freeware 3D modeler available for FS, IMHO. It's not super simple to learn, but neither is it monstrously complex. It just takes a little time to get the hang of it. You use it to create buildings, bridges, etc. that you can then place in your scenery2. Using the models you created in Gmax, you can build libraries of objects using a program called FSRegen, which is available on this site for free I believe. It stitches a group of Gmax-created buildings into one library and allows you to make Aiport Include (API) files of each model that you'll use in...3. A scenery layout program -- I like Flight Sim Scenery Creator, but Airport for Windows is also very nice and both are free. This gives you a top-down map view of your aiport and allows you to place the API files of the objects you created in step 2. So you can drag and drop hangars, buildings, etc. where they should go. FSSC and Airport are very easy to learn.4. AFCAD v.2 by Lee Swordy -- this is the only real option right now for doing WYSIWYG parking/apron/taxiway/runway modifications to an airport, but it's very easy to learn and is a really nice bit of programming. It allows you to really fine-tune the ground movement aspects of any airport. And you can create new FS9 airports from scratch, too!That should be enough to get you started! I hope I wasn't too basic, but sometimes people take for granted that newcomers already know a lot about scenery design, and I'd rather err on the side of explanation.Good luck!

I'll pipe up also...I've been using only freeware tools since fs2000 (when I finally gave up on my old ASD program). I use ms SDK tool, resample.exe and tmf2bgl for my ground, gmax for my objects, ms sdk annotator for autogen, ground2k for surrounding area, afcad for my tarmaks, CAT for conditional animation, fsregen for library object compilation.All freeware!Bob Bernstein