Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dave1972

Smoke from houses

Guest Dave1972

I have just started my first scenery with FSSC the problem is i can not get smoke to work right how can i fix this

That's one very impressive model!Myself, I'm waiting on the FS2004 scenery SDKs which I hope are only a few days away.

How did you place this smoke now? If you placed it as a separate API your should be able to give the RefPoint the correct height.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest sapper42

Gday, to place your smoke at the correct place you will need Rhumbys TDFCalc to get the correct Lat Lon and then create an Effects file ( you can use the one you have ) into a BGL file created with the new SDK and it will work.Remember to set the altitude to the top of the Chimney and once compiled you will have the effect where you need it.example XML Code :<?xml version="1.0"?>I used Dicks TDF Calc to get the Lat Lon exactly correct by using a cessna in topdown mode and slewing the red cross to the exact point i wanted and TDF Calc gave me the correct Decimal Co Ords.Then i just slewed the AC up to the correct Altitude in METERS to set the hight in the XML Code.See the image of a Beta rig where i placed a flame smoke effect.rgds Jeff

Guest Dave1972

I dont now XML all i have is FSSC & if i change the altitude nothing moves.i have Nova_smoke_two.fxi made the .fx API file with FSeffects

Guest sapper42

I dont know XML either but with all the topics in here at avsim and the generous help, allso the new FS9 SDK for BGLC isnt to hard to follow and id suggest you give it a try as you will be able to do some very impressive scenery addons etc once you get the swing of things :0)rgds Jeff

Could you paste the code of the API here maybe? It could be that something is wrong there that causes the smoke not to respond to the altitude.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest Dave1972

;macrodesc Effect: Nova_smoke_two (Created with FS Effects);defaultscale 1;designshape -1,-1,-1,1,1,1,1,-1;--------------------------------------------; %1 = Latitude; %2 = Longtitude; %4 = Scale; %5 = Rotation; %6 = Not Used; %7 = Not Used; %8 = Not Used; %9 = Not Used; %10 = Visibility range; %11 = Altitude; %12 = Detail level; %14 = Radial visibility range (*2); %15 = User definedArea( B %1 %2 22 ) PerspectiveCall( :Pos ) Jump( : ) :Pos mif( %11 ) RefPoint( 2 :End %4 %1 %2 v1= %10 E= %11 ) melse RefPoint( 7 :End %4 %1 %2 v1= %10 ) mifend Call( :Begin ) :End Return :Begin Dbx( A0 00 84 00 6C 02 00 00 00 00 4E 6F 76 61 5F 73 6D 6F 6B 65 5F 74 77 6F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 4D 4F 59 3D 30 31 2C 31 32 3B 44 4F 4D 3D 30 31 2C 33 31 3B 48 4F 44 3D 30 30 2C 32 33 3B 4D 4F 48 3D 30 30 2C 35 39 3B 00 00 )ReturnEndA

The code looks correct.Have you thought about it that the altitude you enter is above sea level and not above ground level? So if you airport is already situated above sea level you need to take that altitude into consideration as well.

Arno

That's exactly what it is. I have put numerous chimneys with smoke in my sceneries in the past, and it is purely trial and error for alignment and height. I will caution you on this. I had several folks have their systems crash when they approached a scenery with the smoke. When the FX was removed, there were no more problems. I myself NEVER had a crash from it. Why? Who knows! LOL!Don

Guest Dave1972

It works Thank You Dave Brooks