Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnC

Ground2k remesh draws a blank

Guest JohnC

I thought I would go back to Ground2k's latest version and see if I can make a simple little bump in my terrain well away from an airport flatten. I figured a LOD8 100 meter bump would be visible :-) so I did one, then a cluster of four or five, and hit the bgl icon. A popup window flashed too quickly to read, and no bgl was to be found on all 80G of my hard drive.Has anyone actually created a remesh bgl with this program? It seemed to me an absurdly simple task to raise a single or a few LOD8 squares 100 meters.If someone HAS been successful, could I have the LAT/LONs you remeshed and I will try the same ones. Here are the only two files from my target folder........0000 V5.0 (5.00) 1/4/2004 5:45:45 PM K:Ground24kv5Heregoes.LWM0002 0010 44.49 -73.176167 44.457833 -73.136667 44.49 -73.176167 44.457833 -73.136667 44.505615234375 -73.1982421875 44.439697265625 -73.11035156250017 0 10018 "K:GROUND24KV5Temp"0019 "K:Ground24kv5"0020 "M:KBTV_airport_hires.bmp"0021 3135 35760030 "K:Ground24kv5GrndBTV.Bgl"0031 "K:Ground24kv5GrndBTV_exclude.Bgl"0040 129 227 129 227 14 28 17 31 13 129 27 227 18 129 0 2280060 0 0 3134 3575 -1751.48449683475 -1735.45754626219 5221.91344620255 5590.582752218910061 1 10062 4 2 20063 0 0 00100 1 0 0 "" "" 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 "" "" "" "" "" ""0120 00140 00150 00160 00170 00180 00200 0 1 0End;--------------------------------------------------; Ground2K4 : LWM Generated on 1/4/2004 6:52:51 PM;--------------------------------------------------include TDFMacros.incinclude TDFHeaders.incBGLHeader 45, 43, -72, -74, LWMHeader , TerrainHeaderStartLWMHeader label word LWMFileHeader 513, LWMIndexStart, LWMStart, LWMEndLWMStart label word datamark_0 label word;----------------------------------------- LWMIndexStart Label Word LWMIndexHeader 0,LWMIndexData LWMIndexData Label WordLWMEnd Label WordI recall that following the instructions precisely my attempts to redraw a coastline a year or so ago came to nothing, and "even" rhumbaflappy could not produce the same coastline, altho he suggested an alternative method that worked.So I have read that huge numbers of people are pouring out tons of scenery with no problems, but I remain a non-believer.

>>So I have read that huge numbers of people are pouring out>tons of scenery with no problems, but I remain a>non-believer.>I'm one of those people, and yeah, for me, this is one of the best design programs ever made. So, maybe we can make you a believer? ;)Ok, I'm going to ask some basic questions - I don't mean to be condescending, so please bear with me. Mesh is pretty east to make in Ground2K. It sounds like you are doing the right thing, so, maybe it is something else? After you compile the project, where do you install the BGL files to? I think the mesh files end with a _2.bgl so make sure these are in your installation directory. Maybe when the project gets compiled, the files aren't ending up where you thought they would? Are other elements of your project displaying properly? Do you see the river you created, but just not the mesh? I'm not sure how Ground2K creates the mesh, but I recall from the Terrain SDK that higher LOD meshes have a higher priority than lower ones, regardless of their relative positions in the scemery.cfg file. So, if you make LOD8 mesh, it will be superceeded by LOD9 mesh that you also have on your system, (I think). So, try making LOD13 mesh, and see how that goes.Personally, I don't use the mesh feature that often, since I didn't like the way it looked when I was playing around with making a detailed mesh. Now I pretty much just use it for flattening.- Martin

Guest JohnC

Shaka, (bro?), I don't even get a bgl file produced to start with...I hit the bgl icon, (after doing a couple of LOD8's)...all I get is a glance at a popup window (can't read THAT fast) then I go looking for the bgl file...I do a search on my entire drive for *.bgl produced in the last day or so...........nothing. So I don't even get to first base.No (readable) error message..nuttin, bro. So where would I even start?My coordinates are embedded in the files in my original post. I hpe someone will simply try the same thing..any coordinates just north of N44:30 and about W73 !0 would be real close to the LOD8's I tried.My bet is theres a glitch here...

Well, if you can't even compile the project, then there are probably other problems. I can't guess what the problem might be, however, I can describe a similar problem I had with Ground2K:When the first FS2004-compatible version of Ground2K was released, I simply installed it over the previous version. After that, I couldn't compile scenery. Basically I had to do a complete reinstall to a fresh directory - I couldn't reuse my old Ground2K directory for some reason. After that, everything worked fine.So, my only advice now is to try a fresh installation of Ground2K.- Martin

Guest JohnC

I'll give that a try right away.......thanks!Well I did it ( uninstalled, took out the registry key, and did a fresh install ) with the same results...I'm hoping someone just pops open a project and see if a simple remesh like the one I tried will produce a bgl and publish it so I can see what to look for (Hint.:-) This program has a wonderful GUI , but I have yet to get anything to work.

Note: You need TERRAIN in the fs2004CFG set to 19. Higher than that you will get a bunch of non-integrated spikes. Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest JohnC

I assume you mean the terrain max vertex level and it is (and was) set to 19...which must be the default.

Guest Simpit

The two things I needed to do to get Ground2K to work were to make sure BGLComp works (which included downloading and installing the XML extensions from the MS website (topic #16692)) and to install some support files that my system needed (there was a "tabctl32.ocx" error (topic #12999)).In both cases I used the extended search in this forum to locate the relevant information.I hope this helps.I really appreciate the people here who make things easier for the rest of us...Thank you!Simpit

Guest JohnC

I downloaded all the files you suggest and they are installed, but with no positive result. I get an asm file, and it will compile with BGLC manually in a DOS window but the resulting BGL does not produce a 1000 meter mountain.If someone can assure me that YES, MY setup produces a terrain bump by merely filling in LOD squares one by one with an amount to raise the mesh and then clicking the bgl icon, I will continue to experiment. Otherwise I am at a dead end. Thanks to all for your help.

Hello John,Most people have great success with all the functions of Ground2K4. Perhaps there is a simple solution to your problem.I can confirm that it is possible and very easy to modify elevations with Ground2K. Perhaps you could help us to find the problem by doing the following: - please post a screenshot of your File Parameters window; - please post a screenshot of the work area showing what you are trying to do; - please indicate, step by step, everything that you do when you try to get Ground2K4 to work.If it works for everyone else, there is no reason why it should not work for you.Best regards.Luis

Guest JohnC

Thanks, LUIS..I can get some things to compile, if somewhat erroneously...but I can't get a simple remesh to compile at all.In the attached photo you can see the ugly triangular ridges which I think are caused by the airport flattening . Right next to these ridges (orange) are an industrial area and a residential community (green) which, with a photoreal overlay, are badly distorted and the ridges are a distraction. The general area around the airport is a remesh nightmare...I have a serpentine river,winding past 100 foot cliffs directly next to an airport flatten...... So the idea of locally remeshing at high resolution brought me back to try Ground2k4.Step by step.. what I did to familiarize myself with a simple remesh bgl production.....I open the project and click on parameters,remesh,LOD8 radio button, and OK.I click on the remesh icon and I get the little yellow rectangle, click on a square well away from the airport flatten and enter 300 meters, close the little dialog box and click on the bgl icon..I do not get a *_2.bgl when I look in my Ground2k folder. I added an exclude to this and the exclude produces a bgl but no _2.bgl. I can get bgl's by creating LWM polys, but no _2.bgl. So the pipeline works OK.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/56653.jpg

Guest JohnC

I finally got the remesh to work...I downloaded a fresh zip file and the latest patch, and I can vary the terrain now. Thanks to all..I can only assume my old zip file got corrupted somehow.And thanks to you Luis, for keeping my hopes alive.