Sign in to follow this  
arno

gmax textures

Guest Christian DK

Hi,I have been working with gmax for a while now, and no problems.But yesterday i was going to textur a house (1 object) who i have created 3 bitmaps for.is there anyway to put 3 textures on 1 object in gmax, i have 10 faces(polygones), can i assign a material just to one face, and another to another face.i have tryed but fs only show one, the other faces are grey.what about multi material?any good tutorial.Best Chris DK

Guest Firestriker

Yes, it is suprisingly simple. Make a multi-material and name each of the sub-materials so they are easy to find and remember their numbers or write them down. Select the whole object and apply the parent material to it. Next in Modify > poly sub-object mode pick a group of polys for one of the sub-materials, apply a UV Map modifier setting it up as if these polys were a single unique part then apply a Material modifier and choose the number of the sub-material. Fine tune the mapping with a UV Unwrap modifier if needed. Collapse the shack when finished. Then move on to the next group of polys on the part and repeat the process.Lou

I use a slightly different approach normally. The way of selecting the polygons is the same, but I do not create a multi-material before. I just select the polygon and then drag the texture to it from the material navigator (which I set to the file library option). The material is then created automatically for you.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest stevenroyals

Before I select another set of polygons to texture, I add another edit mesh modifier so that I'm able to make fine adjustments to the previous texture application. I find that if I don't do this I'm unable to continue to apply textures without collapsing the stack and therefor unable to go back and make fine adjustments to the texture.Why do dome textures disappear form an object when you move a long way from the object? Is there a way of adjusting this distance?Steve

That about the edit mesh modified is a good remark. When I first started working with GMax it took me some time to find that out :).Those dissapearing textures are a little bug in the code MakeMDL makes. You can read more about it here:http://www.scenerydesign.org/modules.php?n...=article&sid=37

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest stevenroyals

Thanks ArnoAt the moment I've been using a program called Middle man which allows you to install the scenery without having to write in the coordinates each time. I don't think the optin to select texture_aircraft or texture_buidling is available uisng middle man.ThanksSteve

I don't think MiddleMan adds much value for scenery design. If you use the latest version of MakeMDL you will have an option to keep the source files and you can change it there. It is not an option you can select during export.Btw, the latest MakeMDL also keeps the latest coordinates you entered, so you don't have to enter them all the time (if they don't change of course).

Arno