Sign in to follow this  
Guest odog

new vs. default

Guest odog

Hi guys, I have created new mesh with 1arcsec SRTM I have created new shorelines with G2K4 the area I have been working on is big, but not as big as the default area. my problem: The default lakes are not in the right places and the cut into my new mesh. Even if i use the G2k4 exclude. The shorelines go, but the elevation/cut into my mesh remains. I used LWM viewer to remove the default area, but this area is HUGE. There's no way i can cover that ammount of area. my question: How can I remove the default lake/shorline elevations so they dont effect my new mesh, but not remove them from outside my working area? the butter: thanks to all you guys, and Christian and Dick for your hard work in putting together such wonderful tools.thanks gang, joe

Hi Hedge Hopper:thought you could escape me, eh? ;-)Here are two previous posts that discuss this topic and my particular approach. However, things have changed since then and I believe Jim's LWMViewer can both disassemble and assemble FS9 files so there's no need to take the long road via FS2002 HYP*.bgl files anymore.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchCheers, Holger

Hi Joe.The bad news is:There is no easy solution. Once the default flattening is in place, it's there for good. I've gone so far as to suggest we rewrite the default HP files as FS2002 or even CFS2 style mesh-clinging water. ( maybe not a bad idea ). I wonder if Edgar Knobloch could write a conversion code like he did for FS2002 to CFS2 water?Remeshing?We have tried some remeshing schemes, but they aren't that good.FS9 code allows for polys to have different point heights, and I have played a bit with them. Theoretically, we should be able to write a code that would remesh using the new LWMPoly3 structure. If we divide an LOD13 Area into an 8x8 grid ( 32x32 point span for each mesh square ), that would be equal to an LOD8 mesh. But in practice, I haven't had much luck with it. But, who knows, maybe there will be a breakthrough.Dick

Guest odog

i was affraid of that, I have the ultimate confindence that you guys will crack this one as well.thanks for the links, I would never try to escape you Holg ;-)this is really a lot of fun, just using g2k and srtm2bgl is giving me some amazing results. The area im doing is the ketchikan burrough and its all coastlines, so the defaults really ruin it.I really like the ability to get the lake elevations right. There's nothing like launching a float plane off of a 300m high lake. :-)I can wait till/if we get the sdk'sthanks a lot fellas, keep up the great work.joe