Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Placement of objects

Guest CarlHill

Been out of the loop for quite a while. Now that I've done some stuff with FSDS2, how do I place it. It was an easier process with ASD and Architect. It was all done visually after importing the .bgl's. I gather FS9 doesn't work with these older programs. How do you guys place your buildings and terminals? Any new programs out that will display the default scenery?CH

You can place individual objects with FSDS2, but you have to manually type in the lat/long.I still use FSArchitect occaisionally for placing objects in FS9. However, I don't think he has been updating this software, and the freeware alternatives have done a good job at keeping up with the times.I'm using Airport for Windows (AFW). The key feature for placing your objects is the link via FSUIPC that allows you to see in AFW where you aircraft is in FS9. So, you simply slew around in FS9, figure out where you want t oplace your terminal, and then switch over to AFW, and place your macro at your current location.There's a couple features that I would recommend that you do not use, due to the way the scenery engine has changed over the last few versions. To start with, I wouldn't place runways/taxiways/aprons using AFW, since this is something that AFCAD2 will do better. Also, I wouldn't place roads with AFW, since these will be the older FS98 style roads - use Ground2K instead.I'm sure that other people will tell you what they use. I know FreeSC is also very popular, but I don't use it myself.- Martin

Hi CH...I place my objects right in GMAX. I'll create a box in gmax at ground level and place a top down image of my airport on it, all at one to one scale.The buildings can then be placed with ease right on their image. To prove the location of the image with respect to fs, I'll first place a box on the runway, and compile...make minor adjustments if needed, and then proceed.Arno has made a utility for this...I haven't used it, but his work is tops...its called objplacer I think...check on his website, http://www.scenerydesign.org/Best,Bob Bernstein