Sign in to follow this  
Guest pecrowther

Textures Used in CellGrid 2004a

Guest pecrowther

What kinds of files are the textures 00_00.bmp, 01_01.bmp, etc?They are 88,464 bytes long.DXTBmp says they are not extended images.Paint Shop Pro 8 loads them as 256X256 images with 256 colors (8 bit). However, it says that the file size is only 65K and when I save the image from PSP8, the resulting file is only 66,614 byes long. Apparently PSP8 is not able to load these files correctly.I have tried every method in DXTBmp and PSP8 to replicate this file, but have been unsuccessful.Is there any image reader/editor that will allow me to load, save and edit this kind of file?Thanks,Phil

Hi Phil.I don't know exactly why you would want to edit those bitmaps.You can make your own with PSP7 or PSP8 by making a 256 x 256 24-bit image. VTP2 textures need to be vertically flipped to display properly, so this needs to be done before an alpha channel is created. Then create an alpha channel. This will be the transparency. Then save as either Photoshop format ( *.psd ) or as Truevision Targa format, 24-bit uncompressed ( *.tga ).This can then be loaded into Microsoft's Imagetool to convert to 8-bit, and mipped, with alpha, which is the correct format for display in the flight simulator series, if you want transparency for VTP ground textures.Dick

Guest pecrowther

Fantastic!That's exactly what I was looking for!* Format = 8-bit, mipped with alpha* Use ImageTool (I had forgotten about that Tool)Not sure how to make the mask with PSP8, but I created one DXTBmp and it worked.I wanted to use the textures to draw a lo-res outline of an airport on the ground (nothing that you would land on- just something visible from the air). I had done so using roads and coastlinemaker, but this should create a better looking example, complete with irregular shapes like aprons, etc. I would have used PhotoScenery Maker, but it does not appear to allow you to use transparent textures.Thanks again,Phil