Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

Okay to Not Use Texture Subdirectory?

Guest pecrowther

A normal directory structure for an add on scenery is as follows:Addon Scenery (the fs file)+- Custom Scenery +- Scenery (insert all the custom bgls here) +- Texture (insert all the custom textures here)I understand that with a landclass.bgl, you cannot use a texture subdirectory or you will create a memory leak. So what you have to do is use the following structure:Addon Scenery+- Landclass Stuff +- Scenery (insert landclass bgl here)No Texture directory.I have created a series of bgls that don't use custom textures, e.g. a mesh.bgl, roads.bgl and coastline.bgl. Can I use the above structure for everything, including the landclass blg? e.g.Addon Scenery+- Custom Scenery +- Scenery (insert the landclass bgl and all the custom bgls here)No Texture directory.Or does the absence of a Texture directory create a problems for all the other bgls?Just trying to keep things as simple as possible.Thanks,Phil

Hi Phil.You're on the right track. If the BGLs need no special textures, you can throw them all in the same 'scenery' folder and have no twin 'texture' folder, and the scenery will be fine.Dick

Guest visualflight

I don't know about the memory leak, but if you have a texture folder alongside a scenery folder containing a landclass BGL, FS will expect to find the textures associated with the landclass in the texture folder.If you're creating a landclass and want a bit of visibility with what's happening from within the sim, create a texture folder - you will be able to see your landclasses as plain textures rather than the substituted generic textures - very handy to see where the boundaries between each landlass tile are.Apart from that, I can confirm that there's absolutely no need with either FS2002 or FS2004 to have a texture folder if you have no textures associated with the BGLs in the scenery folder.JohnVisual Flighthttp://www.visualflight.co.uk

Hi John.If you have a twin texture folder associated with a landclass BGL, it must contain ALL the textures associated with that landclass, or a memory leak will develop that will eventually crash FS9.This can be quite a handy trick for changing a few textures, as the changes can then be local to the BGL... but EVERY texture needed by that BGL must then be in the local texture folder. For example, if the BGL has only one value ( plus value 254 for transparent ), then that one value's texture set must be in the local texture folder. This works with waterclass as well.Dick

Never mind. I reread your reply and I understand better now. I wish there was a way to delete forum posts!

Guest visualflight

DickThanks for filling me in on the memory leak. I wasn't suggesting leaving the texture folder in place permanently of course.John

Guest JoeW

Guys.... This was true in FS2002... But FS9 seems to not care. I have currently 2 scenerys that have landclass, and other scenery bgl in the same scenery folder with a texture right with it.I have augured about this for what seems like ages about placing the landclass in the FS2002scenery folder. and indeed it was the correct place for it in that sim. FS9 is not as picky as Fs2002. I am having no problems with leaving the landclass bgl in the same folder as the scenery bgl's. Also the XML bgl is in the same folder I have even included the AFCAD2 bgl in the same folder with no problems... but just to have the same for all airports, I am recommending that they be placed in the addon sceneryscenery folder.I hope I'm not making waves with this post, but thought I'd clear the air on this.Joe w.

Guest visualflight

JoeNo problem at all on my account. I've not looked at landclass in FS9, so I'm obviously not up to date with it. Thanks for clarifying.John

Hi Joe.If you have a landclass in a 'scenery' folder that has a twin 'texture' folder in FS9, and not all the textures needed are in that 'texture' folder, the sim will die a S - L - O - W - L - Y! There will be a memory leak and when memory is gone, the sim will crash or your computer will lock up.Just run Task Manager with that scenario, and you'll see memoery usage pile up until the sim crashes.FS2002 was different, and it fooled me at first as well. FS9 seems to run fine with landclass this way... but it is slowly choking to death.Dick

Guest JoeW

Dick....Thanks for the heads up on this. I wasn't having any problems (768mgs) but some other people might.... I did run Task Manager and my memory was going south as you said. I have posted a note in the forum where most of the users hang out to move those files to the sceneryBASEScenery folder. I did it and now the avalible memory is stable...ThanksJoe W.