Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

gmax 1.2 texture problem

Guest skipunk

I'm running into a problem in adding night textures to my tower I created. I went throught he tutorial that came with 2002 and took some tinkering with until I got the night textures to work with that since I think it was for v1.0 or 1.1.I have my file names tower.bmp and tower_lm.bmp (both in DXT1). When I export my file from gmax I've tried checking has night textures, light textures and using both, without success of the night textures displaying. Just the day textures show.What I have done. I've gone into the material editor. Added my tower.bmp in the defuse map. I've clicked on the padlock looking thing so the ambient would allow me to add a file. I would add my tower_lm.bmp. I then click apply and see my tower turn grey ( the color I set before picking my map) then goto UVW Mapping and collaps all. Then start my process of UVW Unwrap in fixing my texture (day texture is what shows). Export my file to a bgl to check it out and I only see the day texture.Is there something that I'm missing or another tutorial that is a bit more up to date vs the one that came with FS2k2 SDK. I'm working on scenery for FS2k4. I've been pulling my hair out the past few days trying to figure this out, and info seems to be limited on the material editor.Thanks in advance

At this moment, I suggest you simply map the diffuse map with your gmax day texture. Then select has nightmap on makemdl options. That should do it. Make sure you have your textures at dxt1 in your texture folder.Bob Bernstein

Guest skipunk

I tried that with a test object and didn't change. My textures are in DXT1, I just don't remember what I did during the tutorial to get the night textures to show up. Probably should have written it down.

Guest voscon

Having had the same problem, it appears that it is important to apply the night texture FIRST (before the day texture), at least It solved my problem. No idea why that is the case. Hope it helps.Cheers.voscon.

Guest skipunk

That's what I ended up doing and it finally came out ok. Now off to find some Transparancy info.Thanks for all your help

Guest bnick

I've been following you guys on this one, but I have to ask, what is DXT1 and where should it be...? I didn't see a directory structure like that in either Gmax or FS9... Reason I'm asking is that all my nice textures in Gmax somehow never make it to FS9, but they sure look great in Gmax... I know this must be cockpit error on my part.I'm exporting out of Gmax via a modified, makemdl.exe, to an "X" file, then through the Middleman/MDL-Commander variations of Makemdl.exe, to a finished bgl, which are scaled, placed and look fine in FS9... But I am yet to see a texture... Please help...Thanks

dxt1 is a file compression design for directx games. Several utilities make the conversion. ms imagetool was provided in the fs2002 sdk tools, dxtbmp by martin wright, fstexconvert by elrond elvish.Bob B

Guest abent

voscon,I'm having the same prob. I posted about it. Can I go back now that my scenery is created and undo assign material, then install the night_lm textures, then install the day texture? If I do this, do I have to specify a difference, ie the _lm texture is "ambient" and day is "diffuse" or vvsa?Thanks, Adam