Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

Bridges program

Hi Joe.I think a program could be developed to place these library objects, but it might be simpler to make them as VTP2 lines, like the defaults.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/58113.jpgPart of the problem is that they use FS2002-style lines that were never explained in the FS2002 Terrain SDK. Most lines in FS9 ( almost ALL ) use the recently discovered VTPChildPoint structure. VTPDataArea 1, 1, 2, 6 VTPLayer 7, 0 ; bridges are layer 7 VTPNumTexturesInLayer 1, 0 VTPTextureId 0, 0 VTPPolyCount 1, 0 VTPPolyMethod2 4, 1, 0 VTPWidePoint 11542, 1, 7504, 3 ; start point VTPWidePointWidth 32 ; all widths seem to be 32 VTPChildPoint 1, 0, 1, 0 ; create the starthook VTPChildPoint 63, 0, -98, 0 ; offset to the end of the bridge in VTP2 points VTPChildPoint 1, 0, 1, 0 ; endhookVTPChildPoints need "hooks" at the start and end, and use offsets for continuing childpoints. The bridges I've looked at are always layer 7, are always a startpoint, starthook, endpoint, and endhook. And they are alwas a width of 32.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/58114.jpgYou could use the example as a template, and along with TCalc2004, you should be able to draw bridges. A bridge can cross a Cell border but the number system must then go from 0-16320 instead of from 4080-12240. ( almost all bridges will be confined to a single cell )I'm attaching a zip of a flight, the BGL I made, and the code I used. Maybe someone with time to spare and some programming knowledge could make such a tool.Dick

Guest JoeW

Thats what I meant, Dick. To draw them as lines. Your explanation sound very complicated. If I can hook into Ground2k2 while in the sim.... that would be a lot simpler.I don't think that Ground2k is coded for that. Joe w.

Hi Joe.You're right. G2K4 isn't coded for that type of line.You could try this in G2K4:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/58160.jpgWhen you make a bridge, it can only have 2 points in G2K4! Or else you'll get the same mess Microsoft made with some bridges.I can't guarantee this to not have atrifacts... but I think it will be OK. Remember, only 2 points per line.The first example I gave is the FS9 default way, and will not have any artifacts. Until somebody codes a program to use that type of line, we'll have to cautiously move forward.We have been seeing some reports of odd autogen being found after G2K4 roads have been used. I don't know if Christian Fumey plans to implement VTPChildpoint lines or not.Dick

Guest JoeW

Ok... Great... Now the problem is to get a topdown shot that covers a 9 mile gap between the islands with enough detail that I can place them accurately. It would almost be better to place it with start and end points. This could be done in a day, once I determine how.Joe W.

Guest JoeW

I don't understand how to use the VTP data above. I have the Coords of the start and finish of the bridges that need to be replaced. How do I place that in the VTP data above?Thanks again.Joe W.

Hi Joe.Without learning from the terrain SDK, and from LWMViewer examples, it would be hard to simplify this.You can make 2-point bridgelines with Ground2k4 by using a width of 32 or better. Make the ends thinner.Dick

If I read the manual of Ground2k correct it should be possible to connect it with FS and thus read the coordinates while you slew. But when I tried this some time ago I couldn't get it to work yet :). So that could compensate for a not that accurate screenshot :).Otherwise I also have a half finished macro laying around that can make a bridge for you. You enter the wanted length (as user parameter) and it then makes it using those default elements. But this VTP approach is easier if you can get it to work I think.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JoeW

I wanted to thank Dick and Arno for stearing me right on this. I'm thinking of doing the major cities of the state now. Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Pensacola all have incomplete bridges or missing bridges.My pride and joy is the 7 mile bridge in the keys. It took me awhile to decide how to do that. You saw the other post and the screen shot of Ground 2k2 of it... This is it flying. Thanks to both of you.Joe W.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/61539.jpg

Guest cwright

Hi, Dck, thanks for the info. Using this method, I've added bridges to AutoAsm. If you draw a line and define it as a bridge, the program will create a bridge between the start and end of the line. With a bit more development the program should be able to automatically add suitable bridges wherever a road passes across water. One question: is there a limit to the length of bridges? When I create a longer bridge that crosses several LOD13 squares it appears in the wrong position. Best regards, Chris