Sign in to follow this  
arno

Faded taxiway lights........who knows the trick?

Guest raf

Me too would like to know..........After a whole week of deep search&test, guess my researches about the item came to their end, at least until new inputs won't come in.I also used SCASM lights for my previous sceneries, I just wanted to take advantage from the (supposed) increased capabilities of BGLC, but now I must realize that a lot of BGLC parameters are a pure fake (maybe they're destined to be implemented in future versions, but now that's it).The sole thing to do is to switch back to SCASM programming again, and pray that future FS platforms will support it as long as possible.Thanks Luissa for your help,Raf

Hi Raf,It seems that you and Luis in the end came to the same conclusion as I did a while ago. It seems there is no way to increase the visibility and intensity.One thing, you write that you tried BGLC because you thought it would offer more then SCASM. That is not true, both SCASM and BGLC make the same BGL code in the end. Before SCASM was updated for Fs2002, BGLC did contain some commands that SCASM did not yet, but now this difference is gone.So the only reason is to use BGLC is probably to tweak GMax files, which are ASM file. If you want to program your entire scenery yourself SCASM is probably easier to work with.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest raf

All of this looks like a sadic trap.In the past wasn't possible to use default taxilights for add-on sceneries because they weren't good or were missing at all.Now that we have good-fading default taxilights, we cannot include them into our sceneries, because they're encoded into AFD files and the BGLC code does overrun all visible elements of an AFD file (see the sadism?)Martin Wright (AFCAD's author) says that there's no enough knowledge at the moment about the tricky layering/exclude procedure needed to have those elements not overrun by the BGLC code, let's hope this info will be available soon.Meanwhile we must deal with custom taxilights that are a downgrade respect to default ones, because the parameters which should control their brightness/fading don't work.I'd really like to know what hell is passing through MS guru's brain.........Btw: is there a way to decompile a bgl generated by the latest AFCAD or to force AFCAD to generate .asm or .xml files??Raf

If I were an expert I might create 2 bgls with a simple light each, one compiled with scasm and another with bglc... hex-edit the resulting bgls and analyse the differences ?

Guest raf

Guess everybody has a good level of knowledge, here, but nobody is an 'Expert'.Otherwise this would be a 'one-way forum', where we all place our questions and The Guru gives us all the answers we need.........Since the brightness-fading parameters seems to not work, I'm confident the solution will come when will be possible to lay AFD visible elements over a BGLC scenery. As far as I know it's possible (Martin Wright tells), but the procedure is undisclosed still.Btw: as far as I know, SCASM lights brightness/fading is not customizable as well, but this might be a lack of knowledge on my end.

That is correct, the SCASM lights are the same as the BGLC ones. So there we have the same problems that the brightness and fading can not be adjusted to our wishes.I have not looked enough into AFCAD (PS. not made by Martin Wright, but by Lee Swordy) to make a good comment on layering it with other SCASM/BGLC scenery. But when I look at the default MS scenery I expect that it can be difficult. In the default scenery all aspect of the airport are stored in the AFD format (with the features described in the BGLComp SDK). And as far as I can say now it seems that this AFD data is always drawn before the old section 9 scenery. But who knows, the future might have some nice surprises for us :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest raf

Uh.......?You're right Arno, wonder how I had Martin Wright in mind..............Anyway: what I said it's from the AFCAD 2.21 manual, hereunder I report what Lee wrote:<>Raf

Guest raf

Btw: as far as you know, is there a way to decompile a bgl generated by AFCAD and/or to force AFCAD to export .asm or .xml files?

Hi Raf,I think Lee was more talking about combining the AFCAD ground scenery with 3D objects made with GMax for example. I don't think he is talking about using ground elements made with GMax together with AFCAD.No, as far as I know there is no decompiler (yet) that can read the new AFD format. I think one will come in the future, but some time is needed before the format is totaly known.Also I don't think it is possible to get a ASM file for the new AFD format. It seems that the BGLComp compiler is the only way to make them, so we would need to decompile to a XML file then.

Arno

Guest raf

Hi Arno,have you seen my posting about a possible bug into Fs9 default landing lights? I know: it might look a topic mainly for aircraft designers, but just think to the use of LLs for night ground illumination.....I'd like to know your thoughts about that and if you can experience the same on your system/fs9 installation.Thanks,Raf

Hi Raf,Yes, I have seen the topic, but I haven't had the time to check on my system if it also happens there.

Arno

Has anyone tried the new 2004 SDK Attach Tool? I think this will allow us to place fading taxilights in Gmax.... Edit: Looked into the BGLComp docs... don't tell me the only kind of light we can call is that beacon?