Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

I want to move an island (well not all)

Hello all,in FS2004 (as was in FS2002) there us an "interesting" problem with a caribbean island, St. Barthelemy.It looks like that all the island is put in the wrong coordinates, that is moved slightly to the north and west, or better the coastline and roads only are in the wrong positions, while the airport and mesh is at the right coordinates.Here is my question: do you think there is a practical way to "shift" to the southeast to the right position coastlines and roads?problem: the island is at the intersection of 4 LOD cells, as you can see from the attached images.If you look in detail, you will see that the road now north of the airport has a "bend" that should actually go around the airport, if coastlines and roads would be moved at the right place.CiaoFrancesco Romeo

Guest pecrowther

I had to move an island in the Pacific. It was also shifted north and east of where it should have been. This took several steps:1. I used CoastlineMaker to move the coastlines to the right location.2. (And this is the trickiest part) I modified the default bgl to remove the flattens that were preventing the mesh from showing hills, etc.3. I used CoastlineMaker to create new roads (since the old ones were not that accurate in the first place and were now shifted).4. I used EZ-landclass to put the towns in the right places.The airport was in the right place, so no changes were needed there.Welcome to the world of scenery design!Phil

Ciao Francesco,I have been doing some intermittent work on some of the islands, particularly St. Barth. As you say, the island has the wrong shape and is in the wrong place (and this is true of all the islands!) This results in the ridiculous situation where planes take off into a mountain!The only solution for the moment is that given by Phil.I am trying to avoid modifying the default hyp bgl and am working on re-doing the altitude mesh so that it falls better on the default land mass. But, this is a real hassle, given that the island has the wrong shape.If our friends at Microsoft would finally decide to let us to modify the default scenery (notably by being able to eliminate all default elements, including water flattens), then many of us could go to work making much better scenery. But, will their very strict production schedule and their limited resources allow them to devote some time to this?Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis.I've gently been twisting Edgar Knobloch's arm to come up with a program that will translate default FS9 LWM asm code to FS2002 LWM poly code ( and allow all heights to be changed to -9999 as mesh clinging ).Should Edgar do this, we would be able to make a new mesh-clinging default replacement in minutes. That would allow us to create new landmasses without the old flattening in place.A project could then instruct the user to rename his default in question as HP*.OLD, and the new HP file could then be dropped into that default folder. And new flattened LWM polys could be used in the project... but with SRTM mesh, it might not need much flattening, especially if the mesh source was already altered for the large water masses.Dick

Wonderful, Dick! Thanks very much for persuading Edgar. He has given us some great utilities, hopefully this will be one more.I have hesitated to modify the default bgls, since it might make installation a bit more complicated for others. But, there does not seem to be any other alternative.There would not even seem to be any more need for LWM flattens, as an accurate altitude mesh would give the best results. How easy it could be: draw a new and correct land mass in the right place, create an altitude mesh, and that is it! All that is left to do is a new land and water class, more detailed terrain elements, landmarks and other visual objects, airports, etc....Best regards.Luis