Sign in to follow this  
Guest bnick

FSDS macro issue

Hey guys, just got FSDSV2 and have been playing with it creating mocros, one thing I am finding is that nearly all objects have an issue and I think it is a setting that I need to adjust, but unsure of what or where. When I create a building it will vanish at a certain angle, usually when it is at the very side of the screen. I would get this every now and again, when using EOD or NOVA, but it seems to be the norm with FSDS. I place it using FSSC and have set the density and distance levels at everyone, no change, any ideas? Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VACougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviation[link:www.cgrmthelos.com]Cougar Mountain Helicopters

Best, Michael

KDFW

Sounds a lot like a too small v2 value in the RefPoint, then object dissapear at certain angles. But this should not happen with FSDS, as the v2 is calculated by the program and written into the API. Are you maybe using the API at a completely different scale then it was design at?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I did increase the scale in FSSC as it did come out a little small, I'll go rescale it and see what a difference that makes, thanks Arno.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VACougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviation[link:www.cgrmthelos.com]Cougar Mountain Helicopters

Best, Michael

KDFW

No such luck Arno, I resized to absolute, bigger, smaller, even played with the other parameters in the project properties and it still does it, right on the corner. I normally wouldn't make that big of a deal about it, but when you taxi and turn to park and it "pops" into view, kinda ruins the realism aspect, especially when I use photo textures. While I am sure you can work your scasm magic and make this macro work, I need to know how to make all the objects I make with FSDS not have this problem. frustrating!Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VACougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviation[link:www.cgrmthelos.com]Cougar Mountain Helicoptershttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/58660.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi Michael,To be really sure it is something different, can you try one things.In the macro you will find a RefPoint command that has a v2 value. Could you try to increase that value in notepad or so and see if that solves the problem?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

You're talking about the red-roof building, right?Here's something I noticed. When I made objects that had their center far away from the reference point (0,0,0 in FSDS2), then I noticed that the building will "pop" into view as you are rotating and it comes into view. So, the key thing was to keep the object centered on it's reference point, since that's how FS decides if it's visible or not.I've been using FSDS2 for a few years, and I haven't really had any problems that I couldn't work around. If you feel so inclined, you may email me you .fsc file and I can check it to see if there is anything we may have missed.- Martinmartinstrong@martinstrong.com

As usual you were right. I doubled the value and it has not happened since. My question, is where would this value be added in FSDS to avoid me having to do this with all my objects as it seems to happen with 90% of them. Thanks again for your time and answers, much appreciated!Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VACougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviation[link:www.cgrmthelos.com]Cougar Mountain Helicopters

Best, Michael

KDFW

This is interesting. I haven't used FSDS for a while, but with FSDS1 the v2 value was always calculated correctly by the program. As far as I know there is no way to adjust it mannual in the program.Some background about the v2. You should see the v2 value as the radius of a circle where the entire object fits in. If the v2 is too small a part of the object might stick out of it and in that case you can get the dissapearing of scenery.Maybe the suggestion given in the other reply helps you, do you have the object centered around the RefPoint? I don't know how FSDS calculates the v2, but maybe that has something to do with it?

Arno

Guest gorchi

Hi Michael!I agree with Shaka and Arno on RefPoint. You need to have this reference point in center of object as maximum as possible. Instead of correcting v2 value (which can also do some harm on exclusion theme), do open every object You have made with FSDS, select part mode and seelct all of the object. Then use tranlation to position them more or less in the center. You can also use Shift+Arrow keys to do this if this would be easier for You.Also, sometimes it might be useful to make a dummy polygon named scenery_icon and tagged as Reference part (in Part Properties or F2 on keyboard) so You'll get proper object shape in scenery design software.Hope it helps and best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest JoeW

Michael.. Check and make sure you have v2.24... I think that is the latest ver.Joe W.

Guest bnick

You guys have provided some much appreciated V2 info within this thread... I however have a new twist to add to the Defacto Scenery programs wonderful V2.24 upgrade, which I quote from their web site as claiming..."New FS2004-compatibility". In all truth they don't say how much compatibility though...I have noticed that every simple Macro I have created within Defacto completely and totally distorts within FS9 no matter how creatively I option/package my creation, ie: API, SCM, BGL's...In the example below I created a simple, 2 textured, parking garage 500'x300'x100',high, with 20'x20' support columns arrayed around the building on approx 100' centers...Now below this image note my resulting scenery in FS9...At first I just thought it was some bad bourbon I may have just purchased, but after creating many other Macro's and Bgl's, I determined it wasn't the distillates I had ingested, but the Defacto I had been creating with...Seriously though, If anyone can help me, with info on what "I" very well may be doing wrong here, I would much appreciate it...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/59900.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/59901.jpg

>You guys have provided some much appreciated V2 info within>this thread... I however have a new twist to add to the>Defacto Scenery programs wonderful V2.24 upgrade, which I>quote from their web site as claiming..."New>FS2004-compatibility". In all truth they don't say how much>compatibility though...I use FSDS2 objects for use in FS9 scenery, without these problems that you show in your pictures. Maybe it has to do with the object you created? I'm not sure how much experience you have with working with FSDS2. Mayeb you could post your .fsc file here and we could download it to take a look at it?- Martin

Guest bnick

Martin - Thanks for your offer to take a look at this FSC file... I've created a lot of nice scenery with FSDS, that always looked good in FS98/2000/2002, and upgraded with every oportunity, but I have never been able to view any of my previous bgl's, that looked fine before, now in FS9 without the serious distortion I exampled...By the way thanks for all the advice you have given all of us...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/59940.zip

Well, it looks fine to me. Perhaps you have another object placed at the same location that is causing problems? That is the only thing I can think of. I placed the object by creation a BGL directly from FSDS2, so it was placed at the location in the "properties" settings - Portland Intl.- Martinhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/59949.jpg

Guest bnick

I don't believe it... Is this FS9 your using...? It looks like it...? No matter where I place the FSDS API's, SCM's or Bgl's around Portland, all of mine distort... You should see what it does to stock FSDS ships in a river... Not a pretty sight... I wonder if Win XP Pro has a problem or if it's my GE Force Ti4600 128 mb video board... The pc is a rocket and burps on nothing, everything runs perfect except Abacus FSDS and I've done 2 clean reloads on V2.24 I must not be living right and deserve this for past transgressions... Thanks very much for your efforts I'll have to try and think on this some more...