Sign in to follow this  
Guest hammerheadlemon

As soon as I switch on the GPS I crash to a black screen

Guest hammerheadlemon

Hi, wonder if anyone else has experienced the same as me.I'm new to scenery design and having spent all day tinkering with FSSC and AFCAD2, I finally managed to create myself a nice new airport up there on a flattened hillside, somewhere near the arctic circle in the Northwest Territories of Canada. Great! Of course, I want to be able to fly from it too, so I climb into the Cessna 172 and line up on my new runway. As soon as I get in the air and switch on my GPS, I crash to a black screen and have to restart FS9. Retrying produces exactly the same result; if I fly without the GPS I'm fine.Looks like an issue between the GPS and the add-on scenery - anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do apart from (a) remove the scenery and (:( fly around that area without using the GPS?I created the runway, apron, taxiways and ILS using AFCAD2; FSSC for the exclude, flatten and a couple of buildings, that's it.Running FS9 on:XP512Mb RAM2.6 P4128Mb ATI Radion Mobility 9600 with updated driversetc.Any help, advice or similar anecdotes would be most welcome.Thanks.Matt

The GPS does also use the AFD data, so I suspect that the probem is in the AFD file (AFCAD) you made. Maybe you could try to remove the BGL file made by AFCAD and see if the problem still happens?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest hammerheadlemon

I could try that. Problem is that if I get rid of the AFCAD AFD file, my airport won't show up in the Go To Airport directory. The FSSC AFD file isn't supported by FS9 apparently.Matt

Yes, I know that :). But then you know if the problem is in the BGL made with FSSC or in the one made with AFCAD. After that you can then start searching in one of these programs if you can solve it there.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest hammerheadlemon

Ah yes, thanks. Forgive me, I'm new to this kind of detective work!Matt

Make sure you don't have the FSSC AFD file in your FS2004 folders. I find using less of the old style programming, SCASM, is better. You might also consider using excbuilderv2.zip vice the FSSC exclude since it puts it in the new format.Also check for any other miscellaneous files FSSC might store in your FS2004 scenery folders. Remove all that you can.W. Sieffert

Guest hammerheadlemon

Thanks - I know the FSSC AFD file is still in there, it was exported as default even though I didn't want it. I'll take it out and see how I get on. Do you know if the default scenery BGL file that gets exported (alongside the flatten and exclude file) is any use or can that go too?Cheers.

What does the default *.bgl contain?I use AFCAD221+ to make all the ground elements, such as, grass, aprons, runways, taxiways, runways, ILS, etc. I then use Airport for Windows or FSSC to place 3d objects, i.e., buildings, hangars, other visual scenery. If your default *.bgl contains any 3d objects, then it should stay.One way to troubleshoot the problem is to remove any of your new *.bgl files one at a time and see if the problem clears.W. Sieffert

Guest hammerheadlemon

Thanks. Yes, I removed everything that might be suspect last night and got the same result (the defailt *.BGL file did contain a couple of buildings).Same problem no matter what I do. I've now discovered that if I sit on a runway very close to where this new scenery used to be (before I deleted it in frustration) I still get a CTD with no add on scenery at all. I also requested some help on CTDs generally in the main forum and was advised to go and look through "seasonal CTD" threads which I did but I don't think I have that problem.No one else seems to CTD in these "buggy" areas when they switch on the GPS. I can fly fine without the GPS but I want to use it.Any ideas about the GPS issue specifically?Cheers.-Matt