Sign in to follow this  
Guest pecrowther

Watermasks in photoscenery

Have created a photoscenery with Photo Scenery Maker and it looks fine, except for the water areas, because they should be transparent but they aren't. I have now painted the waterareas black on the texturefile and for the watermask-file: land areas are white and water is black. I use Paint Shop Pro for creation of the textures.For converting the textures I use FS2002 resample texture converter and i've set transparent color to black.But still the whole photosceneryarea in flightsim remains opaque.Help!

You should add the black and white information for the transparancy as an alpha channel to your texture. So you might want to try if there is any information in the aloha channel right now.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Wow, this looks hopeless. If I have to edit all my 1734 (!) bitmaps I'd rather use the existing water from the satellite image.

no, not like that....make the big image into black for water and white for land.then resample that image just like you did your first.then batch convert them.Bob Bernstein

You guys like to do things the hard way :)If you are going to do a lot of this type of thing then just use Terrabuilder, does all the work for you.

terrabuilder is a gui over the process. what I recommended is unchanged regardless of whether you operate the process directly or use a gui to operate the process for you.best,Bob B

Guest pecrowther

In "Project Properties", did you include the address of your watermask? It is the last file location. You should have one (or more) files for your scenery and one black and white picture with your watermask. Once you do that Photoscenery will merge and create the mask automatically- no batching required.Phil

I have done it correctly as described by PanosG but there's also a problem present in the creation of the files: on execution 4, the convertion of the textures. Imagetool (v3.00) is loaded and then two errormessages appear. First: "The file 'bmp' does not exist. (Error code=2)", then: "The file '...texture*.tga' does not exist. (Error code=123)".But the tga-files are present in the texture-directory and the bmp in TmpBmp.

Guest pecrowther

Just some shots in the dark (as I know it works!):1. Are you using the fs2000 tools? (e.g. resample) I had to look hard to find them on the Microsoft Webpage.2. Are you using version 1.2.4 of PhotoScenery Maker? (The earlier ones had some problems with the grids, although not the kind that should affect you.)3. Have you set the bitmap boundaries large enough to cover at least a whole grid? (although I just tried that and it does not create an error message, just a blank conversion list).Like you, I created the source BMP and the mask BMP using Paint Shop Pro, so that should not cause a problem.Phil

OK, now I've created photoscenery with water, but not successfull. The watermask-texture is still set up with land = white and water = black. The problem now is that the landarea have become water and the black areas that should be water remains black in flightsimulator.

This sounds each, just invert your alpha channel and then it should be OK.If you open some of your textures with ImageTool and view the alpha channel, are they then setup like you did (land = white, water = black) or have they been inverted somewhere along to process?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Now I've done it successfully!!The solution was to not use black and white on the watermask image, but satellite photo with black water on it. Hurray! :-beerchug

Now I've done it successfully!!The solution was to not use black and white on the watermask image, but satellite photo with black water on it. Hurray! :-beerchug
Hi there, I used your method also, but it didn't worked on my case... man this stinks... I can't seem to make the water mask work...