Sign in to follow this  
Novastar

Adding autogen trees

HiI'm in the process of re-building one of my sceneries and would like to know if there is a way to add autogen trees to a specific area that presently just shows grass. The area in question is parallel and quite close to a runway edge.When I originally designed the scenery for FS2002 I used the outstanding trees by Gerrish Grey, which I was totally happy with, but had some complaints about the framerate hits they caused. I removed them but still want to have some sort of trees in this specific area as the scenery just doesn't look right without them.TIA for suggestionsVern

If you want to add autogen tree you need to add a VTP polygon that uses the default texture of the trees. The autogen will then be aded automatically.But if it is very close to your runway, you run the risk that they are exclude by it,

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thank you for your reply Arno.I am not familiar with what a VTP polygon is or how to add it. Is there somewhere I can find more information on this. Also is there a specific texture associated with it for trees and if so the file name.Thanks againVern

vtp polygon? where can i find that option...thanks

You're replying to a 12 year old thread, which version of flight sim and what dev tools are you working with? VTP polygons are only applicable in FS2004 and earlier versions.

If you're making scenery for these older sim versions there are some nice tutorials here: http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/scenery/tutorials.html

Barry Friedman

im using fsx with ade...i can add one tree at a time ...but i dont see a way to add a whole area of autogen trees that is sparse

Use a landclass polygon.

You're replying to a 12 year old thread, which version of flight sim and what dev tools are you working with? VTP polygons are only applicable in FS2004 and earlier versions.

If you're making scenery for these older sim versions there are some nice tutorials here: http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/scenery/tutorials.html

I'm thinking that it is time to start locking dead threads.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Use a landclass polygon.

Yes. In ADE use the Add Polygon tool, draw out the area to cover and in the property sheet change Type to Landclass, then choose a suitable landclass for trees.

Barry Friedman