Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnC

GMAX help

Guest ScottR

Can anyone help? How do you you turn the square edge of a box into a radiused (i.e. rounded) edge? I am trying to make a building with a roof with rounded edges. There must be a better way than combining two cylinders and a box. thanks

Guest JohnC

One simple waySelect the edge you want to "round". Chamfer it, which will produce 2 edgers....chamfer those two, and continue this process until you have an acceptable curve..

Guest bnick

I'm just starting with Gmax myself, but I can't believe if they have a Chamfer command, surely they must have the sister command called, Fillet, where you just provide the radius you want, and next you have your perfectly rounded roof... Gmax in an AutoDesk company and AutoCad is what I have taught since 86, so I find it hard to believe one would have to Chamfer over and over to get the desired results, when Fillet does it instantly... But who knows maybe Gmax doesn't offer it...Post your roof dims here and I'll extrude your roof in AutoCad2002, then export it via the 3DSOUT command, and re-import it into Gmax, then again from Gmax Export it as an "X" file, which is used by Gmax's Makemdl.exe, to create your finished BGL... Or I'll just send it to you as a Gmax file and you can Lat/Long it... I should have rotated this shake texture in my example... oh well Out of AutoCad and into Gmax...I'm still trying to figure out how to get my textures which look good in Gmax to show up on my BGL's in FS9... My models are there but my skins aren't... hmmmmm. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/59910.jpg

you'll find other instances in which gmax fails to give you the tools you may be used to from CAD. Course, nobody gonna give you autocad for free, either...so we keep it all in perspective!Bob Bernstein

Guest JohnC

GMAX objects look good in some file formats that FS9 doesn't like......convert into a separate texture folder your GMAX bitmaps using Martin Wright's DXTBMP into DXT1 opaque(for standard bmps's).... DXT1 with alpha for bmps's where you have some areas needing 100% transparency, and DXT3 with alpha for partial transparency windows, etc..and use mipmapping.....keep two separate texture folders, one for GMAX and (with the exact same filenames) one for FS9.